Honored Contributor

Re: Big Toenail

[ Edited ]

I had my right big toenail removed years ago because it was constantly ingrown.  I've regretted it many times.  It never grew back and to me, looks somewhat strange when I wear sandals.  I often wonder if anyone else notices it.  I never wear polish to avoid drawing attention to that toe.  Polish will not stick to skin and neither will glue in case you get the idea of using an artificial nail.  I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Here's a picture of it.

20200303_124603.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Jeez, you poor people!!!   I don't have a toenail story, nor do I want to.

Super Contributor

here's what I do with a toe nail that needs to be sanded down bc it is thick.--I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond this instrument with different heads to file/sand/buff your nails--loved it when I used it to sand down my one toe nail--couldn't find it in the store again but did find it on Amazon--just this past few days it was delivered & I have used it again & it works great--here's what it's called--Peg Egg Bare Nails--check it out on Amazon--it's like $6.99 but cost me like $5.99 to ship--don't care bc this little battery operated machine does the job--now I know where I can find it when I need it again--not going to a foot dr when I can do it myself!!--mary nj

Honored Contributor

Re: Big Toenail

[ Edited ]

Not my toenail, but I have discussed removing all of my fingernails with my doctor. She's the one who suggested it because my hands are in a permanent fist position, I can't open my hands, from scleroderma, and when my nails get long enough they dig into the palms of my hands. Besides being very difficult to cut, because they face inward, my fingernails are also not normal and they are very thick and oddly shaped which makes cutting them even more difficult. But for now I have managed to keep them cut myself...but it hasn't been easy. Both hands are that way so that makes it difficult to hold on to clippers to trim one hand and then the other.  When I get too old to cut my own nails then maybe I'll have them removed....not now, I'm just not ready for that yet.

Super Contributor

here is the official name of the battery operated device I mentioned I used that I purchased at Amazon on another post today--on the Amazon web site it says--"Ped Egg Bare Nails Electronic Nail Care System-Buff & Shine"--cost is $6.64--that's what I was refurring to when I had another post on this topic--there's alot of items to purchase for your nails on Amazon so look for the info I just gave you if you want to try it!--mary nj

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee    Ahhhh, I feel for you.  You need a friend to help you.  I'd do it if I was closer.  I used to do mom's toenails which she couldn't do due to poor vision and arthritis in her feet.  I wonder if a manicurist at a medical spa could help you?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Years ago, when I first got diagnosed with the scleroderma, I had a nurse come to my house to help me with some grooming and nail cutting was one of the things the nurse was suppose to do. The nurse basically butchered my fingertips and left me all bandaged up! I couldn't do that for very long...it caused more problems than it was worth....never again.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I had my right big toenail removed years ago because it was constantly ingrown.  I've regretted it many times.  It never grew back and to me, looks somewhat strange when I wear sandals.  I often wonder if anyone else notices it.  I never wear polish to avoid drawing attention to that toe.  Polish will not stick to skin and neither will glue in case you get the idea of using an artificial nail.  I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Here's a picture of it.

20200303_124603.jpg

OMG, I could have done without that picture.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

If you were closer I would invite you over...but not to cut my nails! Woman LOL Thanks for the offer though.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB  My husbands big toe nails got thicker and yellow as he aged, but were not ingrown. I read online where tea tree oil was good for killing fungus on the toe nails and he tried that. He applied the tea tree oil to the nails twice a day for quite awhile before he saw any improvement, but a year later his nails are fungus free and not as thick. My poor husband still has some of the ugliest feet on the planet, his whole family has ugly feet. I guess my point is, I think having toe nails removed is drastic measures and I would try anything before I would have that done. Good luck.