Valued Contributor

Re: Better Ways to Take Supplements

@1Professor 

Thank you so much for the recommendation!!!  

Respected Contributor

I am constantly tweeking my supplement routine.

There are well informed contributors here that I enjoy reading.

I would like to share some other benefits of our eye vitamins containing 10mg lutein and 2mg zeaxanthin. NIH studies show positive benefits to cognitive health in older patients who take the recommended dosage. These supplements have beneficial effects on the liver and the inflammatory effect of LDL. Of course it is protective to the macula/retina.

I have taken supplements from a company called Elysium for many years. This is an interesting company that offers several supplements in the nicotinamide riboside group. This NR is recommended by dermatologist for those with non melanoma skin cancer including pre cancerous AK. The other supplement from this company is nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN). This supplement is currently removed from the OTC market by request to the FDA. Major pharms are wanting to use this in patented drugs. Its an interesting supplement that is getting attention of longevity studies. I got about 2 years supply before it was removed from retail. 

I have a journal my health reading making notes of new studies and thoughts from solid sources. Thanks to everyone who wishes to share. 

Respected Contributor

I take 6 in the morning all at once with oj then proceed with breakfast and coffee.

Vit. C , D3, HairSkinNails, Calcium, Omega3, and Fibermicel.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too, have learned a GREAT deal about supplements here and am most grateful!👍 I ALWAYS confer with my healthcare team; including my pharmacist, before making any adjustments, as there can be serious interactions with medications I currently take.🥰

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Valued Contributor

I take proton inhibitors and my pulmonary doctor (interesting that he was the one who informed me) said that they can inhibit a body from absorbing calcium.  I have ostenpenia so I changed my routine from taking supplements in the am and pm with breakfast and dinner to mid morning and mid afternooon.  I had read that you should take probiotics with food, so do I need to change that also?  Also trying to reduce the number of pills I take.  Cut down to calcium/magnesium, multiple, turmeric, glacusomine, vit c, CoQ10, Vit D.  I had been Healthy Hair S&N, but my nails are atrocious, so I doubt that I am benefiting from it.  

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl Most HairSkinNails supplements have D3. Just be mindful when taking a combo + stand alone supplements that you are not exceeding your target dosage.

Respected Contributor

@catmama your probiotic (as well as the rest of your supplements) should say on the label when to take them.  My probiotic says to take it with a meal AND a beverage.

Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat-soluble, and I've read they need to be taken with meals that have at least 11g of fat.  A multivitamin can be taken during a meal with fat and a beverage, since most contain water-soluble as well as fat soluble vitamins.  

Your body can only absorb so much calcium from supplements at once.  (around 500mg) Since I have a meal replacement shake in the morning, which has a lot of calcium, I divide my two calcium tablets (250mg each) between lunch and dinner just to be on the safe side, because I sometimes have other foods containing calcium at that time.  I also take my multi-vitamin that has calcium at lunch, and that does not put me over the 500mg at one time.

I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to be one on TV...lol...but I've learned a lot from the posters here as well as a lot of research that I do.  My doctor is also very good to answer any questions that I have.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I split my multivit caplet in two and take one half in the AM and then the other half in the PM.

I take all doses of calcium spread out during the daytime only and always with food.

I drink appropriate amounts of water but not too much in order to avoid diluting out my electrolytes which has, in the past, caused me to have an electrolyte imbalance.

Since I'm on a bone density drug, Evenity, I focus on getting a little extra certain supps to help with that. For instance, magnesium, potassium, collagen and silica are all involved in the process of building new bone.

The one essential supp for me is the multivit. It has everything except for the extra potassium and calcium which I need.

Valued Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@catmama your probiotic (as well as the rest of your supplements) should say on the label when to take them.  My probiotic says to take it with a meal AND a beverage.

Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat-soluble, and I've read they need to be taken with meals that have at least 11g of fat.  A multivitamin can be taken during a meal with fat and a beverage, since most contain water-soluble as well as fat soluble vitamins.  

Your body can only absorb so much calcium from supplements at once.  (around 500mg) Since I have a meal replacement shake in the morning, which has a lot of calcium, I divide my two calcium tablets (250mg each) between lunch and dinner just to be on the safe side, because I sometimes have other foods containing calcium at that time.  I also take my multi-vitamin that has calcium at lunch, and that does not put me over the 500mg at one time.

I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to be one on TV...lol...but I've learned a lot from the posters here as well as a lot of research that I do.  My doctor is also very good to answer any questions that I have.

I didn't know that about calcium. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When it comes to calcium supps, the body uses what is called 'elemental calcium' which differs in the percentages found in each type of calcium supp. Here are the numbers:

• Calcium carbonate (40% elemental calcium)
  • Calcium citrate (21% elemental calcium)
  • Calcium gluconate (9% elemental calcium)
  • Calcium lactate (13% elemental calcium)

So, if you take a 100mg tablet of calcium citrate, for instance, then your body will use 21mg of the actual usable calcium in that 100mg tablet and the other 79mg goes to waste. Do the math for the kind you take and you may find that you are not getting enough elemental calcium. Look closely at the label and it should say how much elemental calcium is in each tablet.

Here's one  1000 mg calcium carbonate brand. Look at the label where it says 'Other Information' . That says it contains 400mg of elemental calcium.

s-l1600.jpg