WEN

Respected Contributor
On 6/19/2014 susan_ca said:

This is kind of O/T: When you use ANY of these oils on your hair and leave it overnight, how do you stand it? I use Sweet Almond Oil 2 nights ago and left it on overnight. The scent was so over-powering. What do you do? Do you wrap your hair in a towel, etc.?

For me the only oil that is overpowering is tea tree. I really like the sweet almond oil and it doesn't bother me when I use it as an overnight treatment. Using a towel probably would help. Although, I just used the SHP oil and like this even better than the other oils that I have. I mixed a little of the SHP oil with my leave-in, as suggested by many on this site, and really liked the results. I just love the SHP products and may order more soon.

Super Contributor
On 6/23/2014 okiebug said:
On 6/23/2014 bichon_emma said: Any tips on how to apply for a scalp treatment? I did 4 dropper fulls. It didn't seem like very much as I was applying it but oh boy did my hair end up quite the oily mess Smiley Surprised I applied it in four stripes along my scalp. This morning I'm thinking drops all over might have been better. I'm gal to see this thread so I can ask

The best way to apply the oils is one dropperful per quadrant of your head - right front, right back, left front, left back. Start at the crown on each section and run the dropper down your scalp as you release the oil. Do this 4 times for each dropperful, then move on to the next section. Then massage it in by getting your fingers under your hair and directly on your scalp. This distributes the oil on your scalp and very little gets on your hair.

I have fine straight hair, but if you have very curly, thick or AA hair, Chaz has recommended using the same amount but doing what you said - drops scattered around your head, then massage it in.

BTW, a dropperful is just what you pull up with one "dip" in the bottle - it's usually a little more than half way up the tube.

HTH

Ahhh ok I was using a FULL dropper full right to the top. I wish there was a fill line like tinctures. It was so messy Smiley Sad I figured since my hair got treated as well it would look awesome. It doesn't. Could it be too much oil? Or maybe it wasn't the right formula for me?
Esteemed Contributor

I use the treatment oils 2-3 times a week. Neither my hair nor my pillowcase have gotten oily. My natural, AA hair is very short and thick. I use 3-4 droppers from the 2 ounce bottle on my scalp and whatever is on my hands gets rubbed into my hair.

I know we all have different hair types, but I'm surprised that people get oil slicks when using the Wen oils.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor
On 6/23/2014 bichon_emma said:
On 6/23/2014 bichon_emma said: Any tips on how to apply for a scalp treatment? I did 4 dropper fulls. It didn't seem like very much as I was applying it but oh boy did my hair end up quite the oily mess Smiley Surprised I applied it in four stripes along my scalp. This morning I'm thinking drops all over might have been better. I'm gal to see this thread so I can ask

The best way to apply the oils is one dropperful per quadrant of your head - right front, right back, left front, left back. Start at the crown on each section and run the dropper down your scalp as you release the oil. Do this 4 times for each dropperful, then move on to the next section. Then massage it in by getting your fingers under your hair and directly on your scalp. This distributes the oil on your scalp and very little gets on your hair.

I have fine straight hair, but if you have very curly, thick or AA hair, Chaz has recommended using the same amount but doing what you said - drops scattered around your head, then massage it in.

BTW, a dropperful is just what you pull up with one "dip" in the bottle - it's usually a little more than half way up the tube.

HTH

Ahhh ok I was using a FULL dropper full right to the top. I wish there was a fill line like tinctures. It was so messy Smiley Sad I figured since my hair got treated as well it would look awesome. It doesn't. Could it be too much oil? Or maybe it wasn't the right formula for me?

You may have used too much for your scalp to absorb, but a lot of WENners put the oil on their hair as well as their scalp, so the oil won't hurt your hair. What did you use to wash it off in the morning? I generally use tea tree, some use cucumber aloe to make sure they get their scalps clean. It does take a little extra cc and extra massaging to make sure the oil is removed.

Super Contributor

I have very fine, shoulder-length hair and use TT oil 2-3x/week.

I do 4 droperfuls from crown to nape in four sections. I massage each dropperful really well before doing the next one. I have no problems getting them out with any of my CCs in the morning. I just do the usual cleanse, rinse, repeat with ~8 pumps each.

Super Contributor
On 6/24/2014 okiebug said:

HTH

You may have used too much for your scalp to absorb, but a lot of WENners put the oil on their hair as well as their scalp, so the oil won't hurt your hair. What did you use to wash it off in the morning? I generally use tea tree, some use cucumber aloe to make sure they get their scalps clean. It does take a little extra cc and extra massaging to make sure the oil is removed.

I used BGT for the 1st cleanse followed by SHP. I scrubbed real well. My hair isn't oily but it was eh. It does look better today. Next time I will try with less oil because my hair looked soaking wet it had that much oil. I do have fine, thin hair so I'm sure that didn't help
Respected Contributor
On 6/24/2014 bichon_emma said:
On 6/24/2014 okiebug said:

HTH

I used BGT for the 1st cleanse followed by SHP. I scrubbed real well. My hair isn't oily but it was eh. It does look better today. Next time I will try with less oil because my hair looked soaking wet it had that much oil. I do have fine, thin hair so I'm sure that didn't help
Sometimes I add a few extra pumps during the first cleanse after an oil treatment to make sure I get all the oil out.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Super Contributor
When I got home tonight my hair was looking a touch oily. So I don't think I did get it all out. Normally I am a twice a week cleanser. I could probably go longer but I am in the pool twice a week. So the oily hair was a bit of a shocker. I just washed it again SHP both cleanses and leave in. I did a couple extra pumps both cleanses too. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thank you ladies for helping to walk me through this. Lesson learned check the forum before diving in ;-)
Respected Contributor
I'm doing an oil treatment with sweet almond peppermint oil. I was just checking the benefits again. It is very cooling on the scalp. It's nice!
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Respected Contributor
Thanks beaches21 for sharing with us that lavender oil can be used to help heal and soothe burns.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!