Honored Contributor

Re: Advice on lodging for vacation

@KittySoftPaws  Check w/your local travel agent.  They do all the work for ya.  At least you do not have to worry about being scammed.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@KittySoftPaws, may I ask why you would go through TripAdvisor (a third party) rather than booking directly? When you book directly you can benefit by joining a chain's reward program, and any benefit that may entail. Also if needing to cancel or change dates it's so easy dealing directly with the hotel. Also accommodations on third party sites can be more limiting than what may be available from the actual host's site.

Esteemed Contributor

When we went to HI we stayed in the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island.  It was really nice and  had everything you needed at the resort.  For me renting a house is not what I would do in HI unless I just wanted a "beach" vacation but there is so much to see and do I'm not into wasting time cooking and cleaning up after! JMO.  

Valued Contributor

When you say book directly, do you mean through a real estate company or a travel agent? I am not sure of any other way. What would you suggest? I was hoping to get a rental home or Condo to do some cooking in as meals out can really add up in Hawaii. We had the most nicest home we rented last time, and was dealing directly with the owner through Trip Advisor. But as I mentioned, that was 10 years ago. Plus, we are looking in the Captain Cook area and not Kona or Hilo which are the main towns there. 

Honored Contributor

@KittySoftPaws   The "suites" hotels I've mentioned have full kitchens including microwaves and dishwashers so if that's the main reason you want a house or condo, they have kitchens.  Also depending on the property, pools, free breakfasts, evening suppers, etc., etc.  Worth checking out.  

Respected Contributor

I mean booking directly with a facility that has its own website such as hotels and resorts that have kitchen facilities. Some even include laundry amenity. To me that means excluding sites such as AirBnB, Vrbo, booking dot on, hotels dot com, and the like.

Unless things have changed, many brokers take a listing for their commissions and haven't been concerned about the legality of the listings. More and more communities are cracking down and putting more and more restrictions on short term rentals. Many areas require at least a 30 day or more stay since they've tired of the overturn of transients and party houses in their communities. I don't know if that's the case in Hawaii, but I wouldn't be surprised. You really need to research the areas you are considering and check the legality of short term rentals.

My own personal preference but for my peace of mind I won't consider a rental. I don't know if the property has been inspected and is up to code, or if cameras are in place, or how many duplicate keys are floating around, or if there are fire and carbon dioxide monitors, if owner cancels last minute, and on and on. But that's me.

I have always found Residence Inns to be comfortable though possibly not in a location you prefer.

Perhaps if you belong to AAA you can have them do the research for you.

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve never used AirBnB, but I’ve seen plenty of posts about them on other sites. Seems like they may have changed from when you used last. Sounds like many don’t provide basics like toilet paper and towels. And you are required to clean before you leave (even though you are paying a cleaning fee.). I’ve seen owners trying to get the renter to cancel because it goes against them (never do this - if they want to cancel, they need to cancel). Many simply aren’t as cost efficient as they used to be, but maybe if you have a group it may be. Since I travel alone, it’s always a hotel for me and, based on what I hear, it doesn’t interest me. But again, I’ve never used them, so you’ll need to confirm this stuff with the owner.