Valued Contributor

Advice on lodging for vacation

I've booked a flight and planning a trip for mid June. It's been many years since I have planned a real getaway vacation and the last time I did, I booked a vacation home on TripSdvisor and it was great. Now, there are so many like Airbnb and VRBO etc. I have read there are scammers even on these sites and buyer beware caution is always reccomended. Anyone here had good luck with renting a vacation home on line with any of these, and if so, what was your experience? Any suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice on lodging for vacation

Where are you headed to. Will you need a car do you want meals. Are you willing to cook all your meals or do you want to eat out 3 meals a day?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

It really depends on where you are going. Many communities have tightened restrictions on vacation rentals and those sites don't necessarily vet the local requirements. 

Respected Contributor

@KittySoftPaws 

I use vrbo often and I have never had a problem (knock on wood).  But, I always book with a highly rated, verified owner.

I would never book with someone who doesn't have any reviews. 

Good luck and have fun. 

Honored Contributor

How long are you going for?  Where are you going?  Personally, I would never stay in an airbnb or anything similar.

I would look for a "suites" hotel, e.g. Hilton's Homewood Suites or Marriott's Residence Inn.  At least you know what you're getting with these brands.

Respected Contributor

We would always book a hotel for vacations.  However, a very last minute trip for a long weekend we booked thru AirB&B because everywhere else was booked solid.  I felt the process was a pain.  Using the website was a pain, especially when downloading documents that kept being denied.  Then the back and forth texting/emails with the owner for codes and stuff.  And when all is said and done, it wasn't a great savings.

Valued Contributor

We are going to the Big Island of Hawaii for 10 days. We prefer renting a vacation home as we like to have a kitchen to eat in as eating out is costly, and other amenities not usually found in hotels. Plus it's usually quieter with no partying etc. if not for that, I agree a nice hotel is quite ideal. 

Valued Contributor

Big Island Hawaii and we are renting a Jeep. We like to have a kitchen where we stay so we are not eating out too often as it can get costly. 

Honored Contributor

If you're going in June, you'd better get a place booked NOW.  Major resort areas are filling up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Thank you for that info. I was reading about some of the problems that can occur with Airbnb and one was that owners are allowed 3 cancellations year I think it was, without reason. So, you could book a home and then they re-list it for more money and then cancel you out. Then you are looking for somewhere to stay at the last minute. Plus, if you pay for anything outside of their site or app, you have no protection if there is fraud involved. Reminds me of FB Marketplace in that respect. Don't like to be cynical, but having a hard time trusting a lot of things on line lately. Had great sucess with booking through trip advisor when we went to Maui, but that was 10 years ago. Much has changed.