Trusted Contributor

Re: smileactives Whitening Gel

@SilleeMee wrote:

I tried that whitening gel when it first debuted on the Q years ago. It irritated my gums and the inside of mouth all over to the point where I found it difficult to eat. My entire mouth was red and sore. I followed the directions carefully but in the end I threw it in the trash. I wasn't the only person who had a bad experience with it. There were numerous others. I'm surprised it's still being sold.

ETA-

Just b/c I had a bad experience with it doesn't mean everyone will, obviously. Maybe they've changed the formulation so it could be better now. IDK for sure.

@SilleeMee  I'm curious.  Did the product you used that irritated your gums contain peroxide?  I can't use anything containing peroxide.  I will get side effects similar to yours.  

Honored Contributor

@walkingal 

Yes it does have peroxide. That's the active whitening ingredient.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@walkingal 

@SilleeMee  How about that.  Then maybe you had an allergic reaction to it.  

Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@walkingal 

@SilleeMee  How about that.  Then maybe you had an allergic reaction to it.  

@walkingal 

I don't think so b/c I use other whitening products that contain peroxide in them. IntelliWhite pens is one of them.

Honored Contributor

I buy stronger gel from the dentist and use in a mold. Works great though I don't use it every day because it irritates the gums. Haven't used any otc products other than white strips which are fine though tend to shift and roll up 

Honored Contributor

All I use is Colgate Optic White toothpaste, I juist got a new crown few months ago and I was A1 shade, it doesnt get much whiter than that. 

Honored Contributor

I've used Crest white strips, Smileactives, Supersmile and none of them work for me.  When I was a teenager I had braces and after that my teeth took on a slight gray hue - as opposed to the yellowing teeth in the demos, and it's never gone away.  Nothing works on the gray.  People can't tell my teeth have that gray hue but I can.  Oh well, my teeth and gums are healthy, dentist is happy, therefore, so am I.

Respected Contributor

I use Supersmile and am very happy with it.  The reviews on this tsv are not so great.

Super Contributor

This one is new to me..  I have used the set with the rinse, gel and toothpaste.. plus the toothbrush.