Respected Contributor

Re: Rastelli’s TSV - April 17, 2024

@elated wrote:

I saw this in Aldi's Weekly Ad:

Specially Selected Fresh Wagyu Ground Beef

$4.99/1  lb.240417INS_Beef_Ground_80Lean_Burger_WoodBoard_OL.jpg

@elated   I shop at Aldi's periodically and once tried their wild caught salmon.  It was inedible!  We threw it out and made something else for dinner.  Would not even have given it to my dog!!!!  Just because it is advertised as the same,  doesn't mean it is of equal quality.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

Who, in their right mind, would believe this advertizing? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sonechko 

A person who has discovered that the word "Wagyu" mean "Japanese Cow" in Japanese?

From the American Wagyu Association website:

'Wagyu' refers to >>>ALL<<< Japanese beef cattle, where 'Wa' means Japanese and 'gyu' means cow".

ALL Japanese beef cattle....from the superior breeds bred for the most sought after marbled meat ( there are only FOUR breeds alllowed) to the backyard beef cow.

Cattle are then genetically selected to produce the marbled Wagyu beef that is sold for hundreds of dollars a pound or more...

So technically, if the beef comes from a Japanese cow of ANY breed, it is true it's Waygu Ground Beef!

Substitute the word "wagyu" in Aldi's ad for "Japanese Cow" and you discover it's no different than all that other ground beef in the display case!!

I found this out when I tried to determine how Q could sell this "special" meat for a tiny fraction of the price REAL Wagyu Kobe beef sells for ( just google it and see!!)...turns out, like Aldi's label, it IS perfectly named!

"Kobe is a variety of Wagyu. Wagyu, loosely translated, means “Japanese cattle”. Kobe beef is comprised of a highly prized strain of Wagyu called Tajima-Gyu, which are raised to strict standards in the prefecture of Hyogo. (Hyogo's capital city is Kobe, hence the name)."

"Kobe-Style" ....QVC's description...tells the tale!!!!

I personally am "Model-Style"...but I ain't no model...I just play one front of my mirror!!!!

In other words...all Cadillacs are cars, but not all cars are Cadillacs....!!

I remind myself of that  when I drive my car ...

......that  it IS Cadillac-like, in that it IS a car!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Othereeeen

Exactly! Well said. Even if they technicallt can say this, still not all beef really is Wagyu or Kobe, beef quality. Though they use these words everywhere these days. Just like all uncooked fish is not necessarily sashimi. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sonechko wrote:

@elated wrote:

Who, in their right mind, would believe this advertizing? 

This is from their weekly ad..Have you ever shopped at Aldi? There is no reason to be offended.