Honored Contributor
For my One
Esteemed Contributor

Annabellethecat wrote:

My oldest daughter has worn one of these things for a few years.  She's an exercise nut!  (inherited the gene from her Dad, obviously)..Ha!

Anyway, I asked her how it really, I mean really knew that she'd taken X amount of steps...come on...each person's walk/run distance is different.  There is no way it can really calculate a person's spatial distance.

People burn calories at a different rate, breath at different rates,  all foods that are caloric marked are just in a range also.  That being said you would have to have  100's of electrodes stuck on you to be perfectly accurate.  That does not mean that the readings on the Charge 2 are not in very close range as to what is occuring.  My son is an athlete 30 years younger and thrilled with his Charge 2.  It's a high tech device that encourages activity.  

Contributor

Hi Annabellethecat....

Here's what you do for the best accuracy.  From the Fitbit website.

Fitbit trackers calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length. By default, we calculate your stride length using your height and gender. If you have a Fitbit Blaze or Fitbit Charge 2 and track one or more runs using connected GPS, we evaluate that data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes.

If your distance measurement seems inaccurate, follow the steps below to calculate your stride length and then add it to your Fitbit account.

Calculating your stride lengthTo measure your walking stride length:
  1. Go to a track or some place where you're sure of the distance.
  2. Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
  3. Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length.

Your running stride can be calculated the same way if you run instead of walk.

Changing the default stride length on your Fitbit account

To adjust your stride lengths using the Fitbit app, go to Account and find the Stride Length setting.

To adjust your stride lengths using the fitbit.com dashboard, click the gear icon in the top right and go to Settings > Personal Info. The stride length fields are in the Body Info section. If you use the Fitbit mobile app, go into the app and turn off Set Automatically under the Stride Length setting.

The changes take effect after you sync your tracker.

Super Contributor

Dan said Maria had burned 1200 calories by walking 4 miles slowly. To me, that makes me think it's completely not accurate!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Pekoecat wrote:

Hi Annabellethecat....

Here's what you do for the best accuracy.  From the Fitbit website.

Fitbit trackers calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length. By default, we calculate your stride length using your height and gender. If you have a Fitbit Blaze or Fitbit Charge 2 and track one or more runs using connected GPS, we evaluate that data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes.

If your distance measurement seems inaccurate, follow the steps below to calculate your stride length and then add it to your Fitbit account.

Calculating your stride lengthTo measure your walking stride length:
  1. Go to a track or some place where you're sure of the distance.
  2. Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
  3. Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length.

To adjust your stride lengths using the Fitbit app, go to Account and find the Stride Length setting.

To adjust your stride lengths using the fitbit.com dashboard, click the gear icon in the top right and go to Settings > Personal Info. The stride length fields are in the Body Info section. If you use the Fitbit mobile app, go into the app and turn off Set Automatically under the Stride Length setting.

They must have written that for a previous version of the app/Dashboard and forgotten to update it. It's no longer accurate. I've fixed below.

To adjust your stride lengths using the Fitbit app, go to Account and find the Stride Length setting under the Advanced Settings.

To adjust your stride lengths using the fitbit.com dashboard, click the gear icon in the top right and go to Settings > Personal Info. The stride length fields are in the Advanced section.

Frequent Contributor

That's a great idea to get it at Costco in case it breaks they have great returns.

plus I can look at it and make sure if fits I have small wrists.

Honored Contributor

@Adamlambert wrote:

Dan said Maria had burned 1200 calories by walking 4 miles slowly. To me, that makes me think it's completely not accurate!!!!

I don't know what he showed when he said that, but the calorie counter would have counted everything she'd done before the 4 mile walk and he may have forgotten to consider that. QVC hosts frequently miss details in presentations like this.

Honored Contributor

I love my FitBits

Is it 100% accurate? No. Does it need to be? No. It isn't tracking data for scientific research, it's tracking data to give you an idea about how you are doing. And it's great for that.

I have the Charge HR and the Alta right now. The Charge HR had some problems. The back of mine came off a few months after purchase and FitBit replaced the whole device for me. Six months later and the back came off that one, too. Aside from that problem, the device worked well.

The Alta and the FitBit Charge solved that problem by making the whole FitBit piece out of metal instead of plastic. To advance the screen on the Alta to show different data, you tap it. But you have to tap it hard and just right to make it work, which was a problem. The Charge 2 has a button on the side, eliminating the tap it problem. The Alta band didn't have a real buckle and would sometimes fall off. (I bought a buckle band from a third party vendor on Amazon and love it.) But the Alta did allow you to change the band. The Charge HR had a buckle, but it had ONE band for all eternity and you couldn't change the color. The Charge 2 has a band with a buckle and you can change bands and colors. The Charge 2 took all the best features of the Charge HR and the Alta and put them into one device.

I have my Alta set to notify me of calls, texts, and calendar appointments, which is very handy. I also use the Move reminders to get more steps in throughout the day.

I missed the heart rate monitor of the Charge HR on my Alta and it's good to have both. If you want a lot of bands in different colors or materials, you can get them from Amazon. They're much cheaper than the bands sold at FitBit and the ones I bought for my Alta are identical to the ones I got with my FitBit, they just don't have the FitBit stamp.

Honored Contributor

Frankly, that thing would annoy the h3ll out of me. 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Frankly, that thing would annoy the h3ll out of me. 

I'm glad to see I"m not the only person totally uninterested in such a device.  First I'm really not sure how it "encourages" activity.  I'm either going to exercise or I'm not.  Unless a hammer comes out and hits me over the head, wearing this isn't going to change that.  LOL 

Second, I don't want that thing on my wrist.  It would interfer with my pretty jewelry.  LOL