Honored Contributor
On 1/7/2015 Gloria said:
On 1/7/2015 brandiwine said:
On 1/7/2015 Krimpette said:

Is that the the Lock 'n Lock TSV? That's a lot of product so I would think the package is going to be pretty big. I would have guessed that shipping might have been even higher.

Since they nest and weigh nothing, they shipping should be no more than $4. The OP is exactly right, 40% of the cost of the item. Most of the other shopping channels are discounting or charging 0 for a special value.

I agree with you. Shipping is based on weight and these weigh nothing. I think the fact that they are imported figures in on the price.

QVC also knows that this is the type of item that people will buy more of, so the S&H will be about $4 on the second item. They lose nothing on the shipping of the second (third, etc.) item since the original is so high. They will all come in the same box anyway. We all know QVC makes money on their S&H (this has been discussed numerous times).

S&H does make me think twice. I did most of my Christmas shopping online. I always look for percentage off coupons/promo codes and free shipping and always shop that way. I shopped minimally at the Q this year (less and less each year), and I have been with them since 1987, so I am loyal to them.

But UPS has just changed their delivery rates to include not only the weight of the item, but also the size of the package. Bigger packages will cost more than they used to last year.

Respected Contributor

It is the weight of course, but it is also based on the dimensions of the box.. But really..its 40%, thats kind of nuts. They're plastic containers. The profit margin is huge!!!

Frequent Contributor

That under $20 TSV just became an almost $30 TSV with shipping and tax. I won't be buying.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/7/2015 geezerette said:
On 1/7/2015 Gloria said:

Is that the the Lock 'n Lock TSV? That's a lot of product so I would think the package is going to be pretty big. I would have guessed that shipping might have been even higher.

Since they nest and weigh nothing, they shipping should be no more than $4. The OP is exactly right, 40% of the cost of the item. Most of the other shopping channels are discounting or charging 0 for a special value.

I agree with you. Shipping is based on weight and these weigh nothing. I think the fact that they are imported figures in on the price.

QVC also knows that this is the type of item that people will buy more of, so the S&H will be about $4 on the second item. They lose nothing on the shipping of the second (third, etc.) item since the original is so high. They will all come in the same box anyway. We all know QVC makes money on their S&H (this has been discussed numerous times).

S&H does make me think twice. I did most of my Christmas shopping online. I always look for percentage off coupons/promo codes and free shipping and always shop that way. I shopped minimally at the Q this year (less and less each year), and I have been with them since 1987, so I am loyal to them.

But UPS has just changed their delivery rates to include not only the weight of the item, but also the size of the package. Bigger packages will cost more than they used to last year.

This is true. I'll give you that. However, every place else I shopped over the holidays managed to ship free. This was in addition to the fact that I also always had percentage off offers in addition to free shipping.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/7/2015 bb7707 said:

That under $20 TSV just became an almost $30 TSV with shipping and tax. I won't be buying.

Yup, and the hosts always treat us like idiots. "These come to $2 apiece". Like we can't figure in the S&H. I always do. I know there are a couple of hosts who say "I always figure in the S&H". I appreciate their honesty, but I will bet the QVC brass does not like that they remind us of the S&H (like we don't notice it!).

Frequent Contributor
I too dismissed this TSV due to shipping costs. I looked at amazon, many nice nesting sets, BPH free for $20 and free shipping with prime. Also they got 5 star reviews from multiple reviewers.
Honored Contributor

ITA-they emphasize the nesting/compact feature, yet the shipping charge does not reflect it. Yes, the percentage of shipping charge to merchandise value is something I consider very carefully as well as competitive options. There is considerable profit for Q from just the shipping charge in this case. And I agree that for TS offers, shipping should be free or reduced.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

Even with shipping and handling, the price per piece is about $2.80 and that's an excellent price, IMO. In my area, L&L is sold in retail stores at a much higher price. I can't even buy a tiny piece for $2.80. If I needed more L&L, I'd jump on the TVS offer in a nano-second. The price is very good, even with the s/h charge. JMO. I know others disagree and would rather pay a higher price as long as shipping was free.

Esteemed Contributor

We just received a 42 piece set of Rubbermaid from Amazon for $20 and zero s/h.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/7/2015 twopeas said:

We just received a 42 piece set of Rubbermaid from Amazon for $20 and zero s/h.

You can't compare the 2 brands- the tsv is a great price for stacking lock and locks. Even with the s/h added in!