Valued Contributor

Re: World Figure Skating Championship on USA Channel

I loved Isabeau’s performance but gosh darnit, I fell asleep right before Ilia skated! 😕
Trusted Contributor

Ilia is just amazing, but Jason has been my favorite since I first saw him on the ice with his long hair. Even though he cannot beat the quad boys, it's so nice to see his skating loved by so many. Ilia and Jason are the only men skaters I watched. Fast forward thru the others men as well as the womens. Only was interested in seeing Isabeau.
The ice dancing has become my favorite. Chock & Bates are so awesome. If I did not know they were a couple soon to be married I would be saying that they Should be a couple. They are so in sync on the ice.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I can appreciate what Ilia brings to skating, I much preferred Jason Brown and Yuma Kagiyama's style of skating.  I watch iceskating for its artistry, not as much for athleticism.  After a while, for me, the quad jumping becomes somewhat like a jack in the box where you're just counting jumps.  However, I know this is the direction of this sport which accounts for the amount of stress and injury to the body of these young skaters.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw Jason Brown last night. He is the prettiest skater. I could watch him all day.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Indra wrote:

While I can appreciate what Ilia brings to skating, I much preferred Jason Brown and Yma Kagiyama's style of skating.  I watch iceskating for its artistry, not as much for athleticism.  After a while, for me, the quad jumping becomes somewhat like a jack in the box where you're just counting jumps.  However, I know this is the direction of this sport which accounts for the amount of stress and injury to the body of these young skaters.

Astutely noted and I agree.

Valued Contributor

Love to watch figure skating - we DVR it and zoom through the commercials. The music, the costumes, the choreography, the mix of athleticism and artistry, and the excellent TV commentators who explain and also entertain. I think the skaters are amazing and I sort of root FOR who's on - oh no, don't fall! Etc. so many different strengths and styles.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also liked watching Shoma Uno.

Isabeau was my favorite of all.

And Hubbell and Donohue ice dancing (silver) I thought were beautiful.

I just got to watch Jason Brown and it was wonderful. I always like it too when a familiar and popular song is chosen. Some of the ones are so loud and jarring.

I agree about skating and the jumps. Especially when it looks like most of the routine is like, ok I'm skating getting ready for my jumps.

But with Ilya, I also thought he was very expressive and interesting to watch even when not jumping though those were incredible.

I feel that way about Nathan Chen too. I could watch him all day.

I really like beautiful artistic skating to the music and the hands and skates everything is flowing and you want to watch it all.

Some person kept clapping really loud beyond when everyone had stopped-wanted to grab her/his hands and stop them. But in other routines I think they turned down the audience noise.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not the fan I once was. Got tired of watching virtually all of their rumps hit the ice trying to out-jump each other in the effort to make this more sport than performance art. It's both, accept it and get over it, but it should be enjoyable to watch, not cringe worthy.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I don't think this year's World Figure Skating Championship was "cringe worthy" in the least. It was extraordinary.

Honored Contributor

I had stopped watching for a few years except for a few on video for just that same reason @stevieb.

But this year I felt like it was a whole different "ballgame" from every country-one of the best. Skaters definitely weren't falling all the time. It was beautiful. Most had lots of artistry as well as jumps woven into the routine and not becoming the only interesting thing about the skate.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"