Super Contributor

The Catered Affair - Tues., Apr. 8th @ 8 PM ET - TCM

If you're a Bette Davis fan, you won't want to miss her moving performance in The Catered Affair, tonight (April 8th) at 8 PM on TCM. The 1956 film, co-starring Ernest Borgnine, Debbie Reynolds, Rod Taylor and Barry Fitzgerald, tells the story of a middle-class Bronx couple who want a small wedding in order to use their savings to buy the groom his own cab. When the families get involved, however, the wedding plans escalate, spiraling out of control into a major event that the bride and groom neither want nor can they afford. Richard Brooks directed from the excellent script that was written by Gore Vidal, based on Paddy Chayefsky's TV play.
Respected Contributor

Re: The Catered Affair - Tues., Apr. 8th @ 8 PM ET - TCM

Darn. I didn't see your thread until today. I would have recorded it.

Super Contributor

Missed your thread too. Sounds like a good movie.
Trusted Contributor

I love this script and I thought Debbie Reynolds, Ernest Borgnine and Barry Fitzgerald were great but I thought Bette Davis was terrible.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

I love this movie. I agree with Adelle38, Debbie Reynolds, Ernest Borgnine and Barry Fitzgerald were great, but Bette Davis overacted and that voice...yikes. Still, it's one of my favorites and I watch it every chance I can.

War Eagle!
Trusted Contributor

My favorite Debbie Reynolds film (her 1st dramatic lead). I am happy to say I have met & shaken hands w/all 3 stars: Bette, Ernie & Debbie.

Valued Contributor

4/10/2014 KathyLFan said:

My favorite Debbie Reynolds film (her 1st dramatic lead). I am happy to say I have met & shaken hands w/all 3 stars: Bette, Ernie & Debbie.

Wow! That is amazing. What was it like to meet Bette Davis and Ernest Borgnine? I was lucky enough to catch the end of the movie on Tuesday. It is one of my favorite movies, like "Marty", about ordinary people, how they get through a problem and a happy ending.

Trusted Contributor

Back in the late '70s or early '80s Bette did a few one woman shows around the country & for some wonderful reason Portland was one of them. After she talked, w/host John Springer (her agent), the film clips aired, the Q&A, she remained on stage & she began t/w some people who came down to the stage & so I got up & went over & when my turn came I said Thank you for coming to Portland, I really love your movies. Thank you my dear she says! She wore a black dress, velvet, I think - it wasn't esp low cut when she stood or sat all night, but when she bent over to shake hands, her chest was dangerously close to being exposed! I was young 20s at the time & was very embarrassed for her!

Debbie Reynolds was at Branson doing a one night one woman show, also w/stories, impressions, songs (TAMMY), film clips, photos & I was so upset I didn;'t have anything for her to sign (it was not a regular engagement, they didn't sell programs or even photos). She was gorgeous in a red sequinned gown & afterwards I went to shake her hand, told her I was a big fan & that she looked gorgeous & she said thank you, etc. I asked & she said she was sorry, but she didn't have anything w/her to sign. She stayed for several minutes talking to her fans & I got some great photos anyway.

Ernie was here courtesy of TCM & was with Ben Mankiewicz - this was just about 3 mo. before he died in 2012. Again, film clips, stories, Q&A, & they did auction off several autographed posters & photos, which went for more $ than I cared to bid. As he was about to leave, I went up to him & thanked him for coming to Portland & told him I had now shaken hands w/all 3 stars of A CATERED AFFAIR, & he said something like Well, whattaya know (I can't remember, something innocuous!.

All brief, but very enjoyable evenings. I wish more of the old Hollywood stars had come to Portland w/shows like that, they always seem so surprised that we love them in these films they show clips from - & now they are leaving us one by one, like Mickey Rooney recently. Gregory Peck did one of his last in Eugene, OR, of all places, but he never came to Portland.

Trusted Contributor

Forgot to add, Ernie was 95 when I saw him & he did a local hour morning talk show, had lunch, rested & by 7 pm or so at the TCM event, he was just as energetic & interested in people's ?, etc as someone half his age, he walked briskly - he did have occasional memory lapses, like for names, but it was amazing. I was stunned when he died just a few months later. Ben M. was also very nice to t/w after.

Valued Contributor

KathyLFan, That is just so cool that you've been able to meet these people. The closest I've come to meeting a real star (not just a celebrity) is when Bob Hope drove past me in a golf cart at Disneyland, LOL. They weren't going fast so I was able to see him and that truly was a memorable moment for me :-)