Honored Contributor

I know some of you watch this (I think I remember posts on this TV show) (Showtime).

I've been watching the last two shows.  I believe the new season starts soon.

It's interesting to watch this actor (lead) because I saw a lot of interviews with him and know he's British, has a lot of children and is deeply in love with his wife (which makes me like him more).

Anyway, I was thinking about the relationship between the two main married characters.  In this episode I'm watching she asks him to come back to her because she loves him so much (even knowing all he's done and with all of the women he's been with).

I was married for 38 years when (as you all have seen my bla blas) he died.  I used to (and still do) think that two of the worst things that could happen in your life was first and most important, anything happened to your child; but second to be deeply in love with someone who (after children and years together) suddenly no longer loves you........and here's the bad part.....you still deeply love them!  

I've read where this upcoming season is seen from 4 people's perspective.  That is going to make it very interesting.

Respected Contributor

I watched most of the first season of that show because it was on right after something I really like, probably Homeland.  I tried to look at it from different viewpoints.  However, I found the main character (the author/married guy) to be a whiney, self indulgent, narcissistic, PIA.  Wah, I married an incredibly wealthy woman and made a lot of kids with her.  I'm bored now.  Hmmm, think I'll mess around with this vulnerable younger woman, also married.  Urgh.  

Honored Contributor

The new season starts tomorrow nigth, Sunday the 4th.

I watched all episodes of the first season, and will watch tomorrow night and probably this whole season, although I'm not sure the show will hold my interest throughout.  Not only is the male lead really British, but so is the young woman, actroess Ruth Wilsom.  I think she even puts on a better American accent than he does - there are times when his words are a bit strained but hers are perfect.  

The character I couldn't stand was Helen (I think that was her name)  the wife. Talk about self-indulgent and spoiled.  I really think she took her husband for granted, and wanted him to do everything SHE wanted to do.  He hated being at his in-laws and being put down by his FIL all the time.  She never stood up for him, nor honored his wishes to maybe not spend an entire summer with his  in-laws.

I found Allison's version of events much closer to what was probably thet truth than his perspective was (he saw her as a seductress).  Looking forward to the new season. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I know some of you watch this (I think I remember posts on this TV show) (Showtime).

I've been watching the last two shows.  I believe the new season starts soon.

You need to watch season 1 right from the beginning.  The "affair" did not just happen.  It was cultivated slowly.  Well sort of.

The actor playing the "writer" also was in the HBO series The Wire.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Annabelle, I enjoyed reading your post.  I have followed The Affair.  I feel it is well done and complicated.  I like all the actors, and I remember having watched The Wire,

and the actor who plays Noah was a main character.

What I like best is that everyone's perspective can be seen.  Helen with her difficult relationship with her parents.  Noah, a good father but a person with a lot of regrets.

And of course Alison who is a broken bird from the death of her child and her unfound guilt regarding his death.  Complicated.

I am looking forward to the second season from four perspectives. 

My daughter-in-law really got into this with me--watching multiple episodes one night.

She said she felt Noah's kids "were so awful" considering what a great father

(and mother really) they had.  Interesting.

My husband is less into this series, I think he hates the cheating aspect of it all.

I am sorry you lost your husband after 38 years of marriage.  The best to you, and

maybe we can chat through this forum when season two starts airing.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

The character I couldn't stand was Helen (I think that was her name)  the wife. Talk about self-indulgent and spoiled.  I really think she took her husband for granted, and wanted him to do everything SHE wanted to do.  He hated being at his in-laws and being put down by his FIL all the time.  She never stood up for him, nor honored his wishes to maybe not spend an entire summer with his  in-laws.

I found Allison's version of events much closer to what was probably thet truth than his perspective was (he saw her as a seductress).  Looking forward to the new season. 

You & I are on the same wave length.  Great minds think alike. Smiley Very Happy

Also looking forward to the new season.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

maybe we can chat through this forum when season two starts airing.

Tomorrow night!

Honored Contributor

The wife was also my least favorite character of the main three. She told her husband she chose him because he was "safe". Who wants to hear that? Also as @Mz iMac stated, she didn't hear her husbnd. We knew that her husband didn't want to make this annual pilgramage, let alone stay there for the entire summer. She knew it too so why couldn't there be some kind of compromise? It seemed like Helen thought of him as an accessory. He was there to compliment her life - not be an active part of it. I wonder if she even bothered to read his book. The only time and place when they seemed to connect was in bed. 

I'll be watching Season 2. Hope they have a new theme song.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

This is one of my fav shows. It is so different from anything because of showing how different people involved view/remember things. Dominic West (Noah)was so good on The Wire,and Joshua Jackson(Cole) has been a favorite since Dawson's Creek. I cannot begin to like Maura Tierney's character (Helen ),but look at her family and how they raised her. It's not hard to see why she is very self centered . But I would like to play her role,LOL. I think the teenaged daughter is,also a British actress.  Ray Donovan left and here come another good Showtime program to fill the space. So I am quite excited about tonight.

Honored Contributor

I did watch it from the beginning.  I went back last year and watched it.  I'd get frustrated and then I'd catch up.

I'm looking forward to seeing this show.  I understand it is going to be from 4 people's viewpoints.

I hope I can stay connected.  I tend to get 'lost' when something makes me over-think.  Hopefully, this subject matter won't require me to keep track of who, what, where or when.  Ha!

I've always felt there is more than one side to a story.  You want to talk divorce?  Hummm???  My mother alone was married 6 times, 1X my Dad, 2X another, 3X another.  That makes six right?  I always took the approach in life that it's not always what it seems.

This should be even more interesting.

Does anyone know if it's based on a book?  If so, has anyone read the book?  Curious.