Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE SECOND SIGHT DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY NOV. 8 2:00 a.m. MeTV

[ Edited ]

"Second Sight" starring David Janssen with guest stars Tim Considine, repeat Fuger Ned Glass (The Chinese Sunset epi), Crahan Denton (5-time repeat Fuger),Ted Knight (another repeat fuger I think) Bill Raish, Stuart Lancaster, Richard O'Brien, and Nancy Jervis as "Lovely Rita Meter Maid" 😉

Ladies, I was going to post this Sat night but of course couldn't log in, so this is, I think, our first post-show thread. I'll have additional comments later after I post the starter. Although I admit that when I did see the title of this week's epi, I thought to myself "oh no, the one where he's blind" so it's not a favorite.

Kimble gets a lead on the one-armed (Fred Johnson) after seeing him in a photograph. He tracks down the photographer, an unethical, anything-to-make-a-buck  scammer played by Tim Considine, and learns that Johnson works at a chemical warehouse. Kimble is blinded by chemicals after scuffling with Johnson inside the warehouse. Johnson then calls the local police to inform them of Kimble's whereabouts.

One point: shouldn't all those boxes of dangerous chemicals that were labelled "inflammable"  have been labelled "flammable"?

Interesting tidbit, Crahan Denton played Walter Cunningham in To Kill A Mockingbird. He was the very poor farmer who owed Atticus money and was paying  him off with food, and whose little boy was in Scout's class. A lot of that film's main cast has been in TF. This epi aired in October of 1966 and Denton died only 2 months later on Dec. 4, 1966 at 52 yrs old (he looked much older).

More comments to follow...

@Tique  ready for pics! 😃

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE SECOND SIGHT DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY NOV. 8 2:00 a.m. MeTV

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Tique  WOW what great photos depicting the epi!  Thanks so much for posting them! Kimble almost looks like a doctor in that Apex coat. Great shot of the eye exam! And you even  included Lovely Rita the Meter Maid! 😄.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here are my additional comments.  I have stated before that I much prefer the epis that focus on character interaction/development. I think I'm going to echo @twinsister 's thought but with different wording. I think DJ did a good job of acting blind, but his scene with the drunks and then all that stumbling around the high voltage area went on for way too long. I got really tired of it and the music trying to make it suspenseful didn't help, it was just annoying. I did like the ending because it was about character development and Howie turning out to be a good guy after all.

Gee, now that they introduced the $10,000 reward idea, they are mentioning it in every epi!

At the beginning, it was so dumb that the man Howie was blackmailing with a compromising photo just wanted the photo back.

D'uh. What about the negative? Even Kimble had another copy! That was so dumb!

I got a kick out of MTM's Ted Knight, who looked kinda middle aged even back in the 1960s.

Twinsister, someone at the beginning said $1.89 could buy a gallon (of gasoline I assume). And nobody ever asks about insurance at hospitals then. Treating Kimble for his serious injuries with no mention of insurance. Hmmmmm. Fred Johnson too, he got hurt.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - Good point about not asking for insurance!  When the reward was mentioned again, I also thought about how many times will they keep mentioning it going forward.

@Tique - Great photos!

Honored Contributor

I liked this episode but as  mentioned either last week or week before I have adjusted my meter on the quality of the shows.

I liked Howie from the beginning. He didn't seem like a bad guy just someone who was a product of his environment. It seemed like the guys in law enforcement agreed with that assessment and is probably why they gave him a break and made allowances for him. Howie was a hustler which could be why his instincts were a little sharp. He recognized that Kimble had come to his rescue and Howie believed in settling his debts but that didn't preclude making a little money on the side if he could.

I liked the scene when Kimble was seated next to where the one-armed man was standing. It was like he needed to get confirmation that what he suspected when he looked down the hall and noticed Kimble didn't give any sign of recognition was actually the truth: Kimble couldn't see him. 

ITA w/@Pearlee  the scenes after Kimble escaped went on for too long. It was predictable that once the two men got  money we would never see them again. I wish they had returned even if it was only to liberate Kimble of more of his money.

Howie also quickly deduced when Kimble's sight returned. He came up with the photo distraction knowing it would provide Kimble the perfect opportunity to escape. I would like to think "the Kimble effect" was positive and permanent for Howie.

@twinsister  I thought when the $10,000 reward was announced it would become a "character" til the show ended.

Honored Contributor

@Tique  Great comments as always. LOL about the reward becoming another character! 😆   Gosh I had forgotten about Kimble being right near Johnson but not being able to see him. It has been almost a week now since I re-watched this epi.

I think it's more and more obvious there are different writers this season. I am glad you liked this epi, with your adjusted criteria. Season 2 though still remains the worst. I didn't dislike this epi, it was just "meh."  

@twinsister  Do you remember Tim Considine from The Hardy Boys? This goes way, way back to The Mickey Mouse Club.

Honored Contributor

I meant to ask --- at the beginning of the show they showed a city Kimble was in. Anyone recognize it? I was wondering what city?

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I meant to ask --- at the beginning of the show they showed a city Kimble was in. Anyone recognize it? I was wondering what city?

@Pearlee   Pittsburg, PA.

My source is a list of Fugitive episodes. I provided the link in a previous thread.

Honored Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pearlee   Pittsburg, PA.

My source is a list of Fugitive episodes. I provided the link in a previous thread.

@Tique  Oh thanks! I've been there before but not in decades since I was in college and visited a friend who lived there.