Respected Contributor

Am I the only one still surprised by nudity on TCM? It doesn't happen often, but there have been a few films where I've been like WOAH....WHAAAT?

Happened tonight during a French film (which was horrendously boring) and I found myself grateful my grandson wasn't here!

Respected Contributor

I haven't caught anything with nudity, but have been surprised to see what TCM sometimes considers "classic".

I.E., flipping channels earlier today, saw they were showing "Eating Raoul".

It was a mildly amusing, quirky movie back in the '80's, but never thought I'd see it on TCM.

Denise
Respected Contributor

Have you considered reporting them to the Comcast ?  as a basic cable network they are not allowed to permit nudity on air. I know I have left messages with the, about foul language im the past. They can scramble the channe for you.

Valued Contributor

I’ve heard Ben Mankiewicz state that they don’t edit or censor films on TCM. I’ve frequently seen nudity on the channel. Friday late nights are “TCM Underground” during which they usually show alternative, clut-genre films like “Eating Raoul.” 

Valued Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Have you considered reporting them to the Comcast ?  as a basic cable network they are not allowed to permit nudity on air. I know I have left messages with the, about foul language im the past. They can scramble the channe for you.

@Reever  TCM is a cable/satellite-only channel and the standards for cable are much more liberal than for over-the-air TV. Nudity to some degree is rather common on a great many cable-only channels. Nude scenes in motion pictures are edited out for over-the-air broadcast, but usually left as-is on the cable-only channels. So, TCM is not breaking any rules by featuring nudity on their channel.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

TCM is not a basic cable network......it is considered a premium network.

also, cable television is not bound by FCC rules.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

i dont know about other cable systems, but comcast/xfinity is now making TCM part of a sports package. if you dont have that sports package or dont add it, you will no longer be able to access TCM.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I am not offended by it, just surprised when it happens. There were two fairly risque scenes in tonight's movie "essential". 

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

I am not offended by it, just surprised when it happens. There were two fairly risque scenes in tonight's movie "essential". 

Hey, I understand...guess TCM knows it can only air films like "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" so many times a month and need to move into more modern movies, LOL.

Denise
Trusted Contributor

I use Comcast and they're not moving it to the sports channel here in Oregon...thank heaven!