Super Contributor

Scoop: Susan Sarandon to Play Marilyn Monroe's Mom in Lifetime Miniseries

By Kimberly Roots / October 17 2014, 11:15 AM PDT | TVLine

Susan Sarandon has signed on to play the mother of all bombshells in Lifetime’s upcoming Marilyn Monroe miniseries, TVLine has learned.

susan-sarandon
Susan Sarandon

The Academy Award winner will portray Monroe’s mentally ill mom, whose struggle with her own demons had a profound affect on her famous daughter’s life.

Marilyn is based on J. Randy Taraborrelli’s book The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe. Stephen Kronish (The Kennedys) will pen the script and Laurie Collyer (Sunlight Jr.) will direct.

The four-hour miniseries, which has not yet cast its title role, is slated to air in 2015.

Sarandon is best known for films like Dead Man Walking and Thelma & Louise, but she also has quite a bit of TV on her resume. Her most recent gigs include stints on Mike & Molly, Doll & Em and The Big C.

Super Contributor

Re: Scoop: Susan Sarandon to Play Marilyn Monroe's Mom in Lifetime Miniseries

You consider this a ""scoop"" ? Big deal.

Super Contributor

I don't consider it major earth-shattering, breaking news, but apparently TVLine did consider it a "scoop," hence including that noun in their headline because they broke the story before the competition.

Okay?

There are all sorts of people who contribute to this Forum who like a variety of programs. It's the diversity that makes it so interesting and entertaining. How boring it would be if we all liked only the same things.

Most people who aren't interested in a particular show or performer usually are mature enough either to make a polite comment or refrain from snarkiness altogether.

Valued Contributor

keri ~ i love Susan Sarandon, and have always been interested in Marilyn's life story. Thanks for the heads-up on this.. i really look forward to seeing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Respected Contributor

On 10/17/2014 keri said:

I don't consider it major breaking news, but apparently TVLine did consider it a "scoop," hence including that noun in their headline because they broke the story before the competition.

Okay?

There are all sorts of people who contribute to this Forum who like a variety of programs. It's the diversity that makes it so interesting and entertaining. How boring it would be if we all liked the same things.

Most people who aren't interested in a particular show or performer usually are mature enough either to make a polite comment or refrain from snarkiness altogether.

Really must have been a laps moment...

BTW the it is hard at times not to have our buttons pushed and at the same time remember we all different and it would be a boring world.

Love one Another.... try to see the good!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing, keri! I'm going to try to read the book before it airs. I wonder who will end up playing the role of Marilyn?

Super Contributor

On 10/17/2014 wildcat fan said:

Thanks for sharing, keri! I'm going to try to read the book before it airs. I wonder who will end up playing the role of Marilyn?

Let's hope it's not Lindsay Lohan, like the stunt casting of the troubled young celebrity as Elizabeth Taylor in 2012's laughable made-for-cable biopic, Liz & Di~ck.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/17/2014 keri said:
On 10/17/2014 wildcat fan said:

Let's hope it's not Lindsay Lohan, like the stunt casting of the troubled young celebrity as Elizabeth Taylor in 2012's laughable made-for-cable biopic, Liz & Di~ck.

LOL, when I thought of who might play Marilyn, the first thing I thought was that I hope it's not Lindsay L. So many celebrities have copied Marilyn's look over the years. With Sarandon playing the role of Marilyn's mother, they might be looking for another big name to play the lead role. Then again, they might find a lesser known actress. No matter who they pick, I think it will be interesting just to tune in to see Sarandon. Looking forward to it! I just downloaded the ebook from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Scarlett Johansson would be perfect for MM . . . if they can get her. She has always reminded me of MM, and she's a very capable actress.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

This should be good! She is a wonderful actor and I'll definitely watch - well, as long as they don't have Lindsey Lohan playing Marilyn. ha! Smiley Happy