Regular Contributor

Restoring Galveston - The Inn

What's with HGTV/DIY?   All these  home remodelling couples are buying/restoring hotels.  Restoring Galveston is not one of their best moves.  I usually enjoy what they do, but The Inn is not good.  The front entry door is not grand and is too small.  Then they have you come into a bar?  Weird.  They put tables and a banquette on each side of the foyer -- way too crowded and no room for anyone with luggage to move into the space.  The picket design they did on the one wall looks cheap.  Am I being too critical?  Not impressed with this at all.

Honored Contributor

Re: Restoring Galveston - The Inn

@Peoplearenuts   I fully understand why that remodel didn't impress you; I've seen plenty of shows as well as myriad house pictures here that I wouldn't want to live with - some not even for a short visit.

Your post puzzled me though.  I don't always watch that series but I've watched enough to believe they all work on similar structures and are evaluated on what they make of them with similar money to spend.  Why complain that they ALL chose to remodel the only space they had to choose?

I hope the one you describe didn't win that week!

Regular Contributor

I think you are talking about a different show - like Rock the Block.     I am referring to the shows that all happen to be doing a hotel or B and B.  They each have their project and a different amount of money to spend.  They are not in competition with each other.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Peoplearenuts wrote:

I think you are talking about a different show - like Rock the Block.     I am referring to the shows that all happen to be doing a hotel or B and B.  They each have their project and a different amount of money to spend.  They are not in competition with each other.

@Peoplearenuts  Are you referring to the Mansard House?

There is a historical background along with a history about Galveston itself including the Hurricane of 1900.

We've been to Galveston twice and restoring what has been built after the destruction is historically interesting. How they do it does not matter as long as the history is kept alive.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Peoplearenuts   I really enjoy Restoring Gavilston, but have not seen the Inn they are restoring.  I will have to see if I can find it.

The HTGV shows that are redoing inns - I have no desire to watch.  The couple that have several kids and live on a farm, I cannot think of the name of the show, is my least favorite show.

Why go to a country where you do not speak the language and take on a huge project?  There is just something about that couple that I do not enjoy.