Honored Contributor

Re: RETRO CRIME TV OPTION-- "QUINCY ME" (!)

@Shelbelle wrote:

I always loved Quincy when it was first run and in reruns years ago. Dr Quincy was a one of a kind and way ahead of his time. Klugman was such a natural in this role, even his toupee looked natural. Good supporting cast too and great guest stars. Always well acted and well written. 

I also watched Quincy in it's first run.  So many great shows back then.  Marcus Welby all of them.  They all had great guest stars.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Been watching the Twilight Zone marathon on SyFy , a young Jack Klugman has been in a few of them. Very talented man. Loved him as Ali McGraws father in Goodbye Columbus. 

Honored Contributor

We used to really enjoy it until it became the soapbox of the week.  

Super Contributor

Re: RETRO CRIME TV OPTION-- "QUINCY M.E." (!)

This Quincy M.E. post reminds me of a book I read called Unmasked: My Life Solving America's Cold Cases by Paul Holes. The author credited watching Quincy M.E. when he was young as the catalyst for his 27 year career with the Contra Costa County, CA (San Francisco Bay Area) solving cold cases. 

As I recall, Quincy M.E. was based loosely on "Coroner to the Stars" Dr. Thomas Noguchi in Los Angeles County. Klugman and most of the original cast have passed on, but Noguchi is still alive at 90+ years old. 

Esteemed Contributor

I watched Quincy back in the day and still watch it when it's on.  I enjoy him Quincy more than the Odd Couple which I didn't watch.

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew ,  and @Shelbelle ,   exactly, glad you raised that.  I've pondered that too--  the thorny issues that they're dealing with on the show, how do they relate to current problems?  Are some situations still persisting, or have they been resolved...

That's what I meant, @Icegoddess ,  about it being too preachy in some episodes-- they do hit you over the head!

But for me, so far, those are still interspersed *enough* with the more subtle episodes that stick more to the intricate crime-solving process and "human interest" type situations. 

The soapbox stuff is a bit more tolerable to me also, than what you would get in today's shows.

@nwbabs ,  I heard that too, that it was based on coroner Thomas Noguchi!   How great that he is still alive, good to know! 

Regular Contributor

@nwbabs You're absolutely right .  It was loosely based on Thomas Noguchi whom I believe was fired after Natalie Wood was found drowned.  He performed the autopsy on her and then later it was found  he had been covering up for the stars for years.  It was a pretty big scandal in LA at the time.

@Oznell 

I watched the show originally strictly because of Klugman and was not disappointed.  I found it very well written, directed and acted with a very good cast, with good storylines.  Not your run of the mill episodic TV  that you get today.

Honored Contributor

Wow, @chloe4578 ,  you always have the scoop.  Somehow I missed all that about Dr. Noguchi.  I wonder if he was in charge during the whole Marilyn Monroe fiasco and ostensible cover-up... 

Regular Contributor

@Oznell 

I wasn't living in LA until the early 70's but I doubt he had anything to do with Marilyn.  I do know that he has been called to testify in many murders throughout the years.  In fact, I believe he testified in the the OJ Simpson trial, but I'm not sure.

Honored Contributor

I got curious, @chloe4578 ,  and looked up Noguchi and Marilyn.  Turns out, he did do the autopsy on her-- way back in '62!   I'm surprised he was old enough then to be working in that position.  

He ruled the death a suicide back then;  but shocker--  in 1985, he told UPI that her case should be re-opened, saying that there is evidence that she did not take her own life.

Incredibly murky case, and hard to know who to believe.