Honored Contributor

Re: Last night's Downtown Abbey -- spoilers possible

@qvcaddition wrote:

Remember Barrows is portrayed as a homosexual  and Mr. Carson I think is the only one of the servants to know.  It was very distasteful in those days, like women having a strong will, so that is another reason he hates him.  Also, why Barrows is so depressed.

I believe most of the downstairs staff knows about Barrows being homosexual.  In the past he tried seducing other staff members and it's quite apparent Andrew was told about it.

Also there was the storyline about him trying to cure himself of his homosexuality.  Despite the way Barrows treated her, Ms Baxter showed him a great deal of empathy.

Honored Contributor

I think there are various reasons why he so despondent.  He's tried to find another job (I think reality hit him about the end of a soon to be era when he met with that old man), 

I think he's been told so often how terrible he is for being Homosexual, it's made him feel so different from everyone.

He's trying so hard to do the right thing and I think the fact that no one is seeing that and that he's not trusted by the man who he respects so much is devastating to him.

Those are just my thoughts on it.

Respected Contributor

It's been obvious throughout the series that Carson was a controlling man.  Too bad Mrs. Hughes didn't see how this would affect her marriage to him.  What we're seeing now is the usual Carson.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I really like Isobel Crawley, she is a take charge woman who does not live in the past. Violet can

be forgiven because she is old and has always had her own way. However , Mary should know

that there is a time when she will have to leave Downton, but she is a spoiled princess. I hope

that Isobel and Lord Merton get together.

I too like Isobel; strong character with a good heart.  I have always thought it would be nice if she and the Dr. got together; just thought it would be a good idea since both are in the medical field and would have much in common.  Can see why men would be attracted to her.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I think there are various reasons why he so despondent.  He's tried to find another job (I think reality hit him about the end of a soon to be era when he met with that old man), 

I think he's been told so often how terrible he is for being Homosexual, it's made him feel so different from everyone.

He's trying so hard to do the right thing and I think the fact that no one is seeing that and that he's not trusted by the man who he respects so much is devastating to him.

Those are just my thoughts on it.

I think the perfect job for Mr Barrows would be butler to a gay aristocrat!!       He needs to find employment that will allow him to feel somewhat normal.

Esteemed Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

It's been obvious throughout the series that Carson was a controlling man.  Too bad Mrs. Hughes didn't see how this would affect her marriage to him.  What we're seeing now is the usual Carson.

But still disappointingWoman LOL

I was hoping he would be so smitten with her, things would be different.

Guess I'm as goofy as she was for marrying the old coot!

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

Remember Barrows is portrayed as a homosexual  and Mr. Carson I think is the only one of the servants to know.  It was very distasteful in those days, like women having a strong will, so that is another reason he hates him.  Also, why Barrows is so depressed.

I believe most of the downstairs staff knows about Barrows being homosexual.  In the past he tried seducing other staff members and it's quite apparent Andrew was told about it.

Also there was the storyline about him trying to cure himself of his homosexuality.  Despite the way Barrows treated her, Ms Baxter showed him a great deal of empathy.

Yes, they all know about Thomas.  I think part of what makes him such an interesting character is that he is so torn between wanting to be good and wanting to be mean.  The cure storyline was so sad.  And him teaching Andrew to read is poignant -- yet he very deliberately tried to embarass Gwen (the woman who used to be a maid) while standing in for Carson at dinner.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought the DVD of Season 6 in Walmart last week....couldn't help myself, lol.  I think you will love the ending, that is all I will say.

But, I do hope and at the same time, wonder if Fellowes will revisit Downton Abbey in the future, perhaps in 3-4 years and gather the characters in a movie of some sorts.  Not another series, but just a movie to go back and let us know what they are doing. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

On PBS, Masterpiece, sometime this year (the website did not say when....only 2016), there will be a two-part drama called "Dark Angel" starring Anna from Downton Abbey (Joanne Froggatt).  True story of the notorious poisoner, Mary Ann Cotton.  I can not wait to see this one.  Here is a picture of Joanne in the role.

Esteemed Contributor

@shell garden wrote:

I bought the DVD of Season 6 in Walmart last week....couldn't help myself, lol.  I think you will love the ending, that is all I will say.

But, I do hope and at the same time, wonder if Fellowes will revisit Downton Abbey in the future, perhaps in 3-4 years and gather the characters in a movie of some sorts.  Not another series, but just a movie to go back and let us know what they are doing. 

How do you feel about posting a complete spoiler here?

I am one of those people who does not mind and loves to know the outcome so I can focus on the story. 

If it's not against your grain, please let us know how it all ends.  Otherwise, I'll have to go buy the thing myself Woman LOL

Watching it all grind forward so slowly makes me anxious to get to the end. 

I know it is strange, but I have always wanted to know the outcome of things -- no surprises!