Esteemed Contributor

Jean Harris on "Investigation Discovery"

Did anyone watch the Barbara Walters Special last night?  Jean Harris was the Headmistress of an upscale school in upstate NY and murdered her "lover", Cardiologist Dr. Herbert Tarnower, who wrote a famous diet book.  I think it was the Scarsdale Diet......

My question is:  Is it just me, or did anyone else notice a startling resemblance between Jean Harris and Barbara Walters????  Of course, BW was a much younger woman at the time of the interview, but Jean Harris looks like an older BW.  At least, I thought so.  JH died in 2012.  The interview was interesting and a few things came out that were never public until now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Jean Harris on "Investigation Discovery"

@sophiamarie  I didn't watch the show last night, although I happen to see the last few minutes - mostly the credits.  However, I remember the case well and I did see promos all week for this and I don't think Jean H. looks like Barbara Walters.  

Yes, Tarnower was the Scarsdale Diet Doctor.  

From the promos, I'm sorry I missed the show and would like to watch a repeat, because I'd like to hear what Harris' son had to say.  I saw just about a sentence of it in the promos.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@sophiamarie  I didn't watch the show last night, although I happen to see the last few minutes - mostly the credits.  However, I remember the case well and I did see promos all week for this and I don't think Jean H. looks like Barbara Walters.  

Yes, Tarnower was the Scarsdale Diet Doctor.  

From the promos, I'm sorry I missed the show and would like to watch a repeat, because I'd like to hear what Harris' son had to say.  I saw just about a sentence of it in the promos.

@Pearlee  It was run twice last night, 7:00 and 10:00 pm PST, but may be same time everywhere, and will repeat on Sunday afternoon at 2:00.

Jean Harris was guilty as could be.  Her story of how it happened was not believable. She was extremely jealous, as her diaries proved, so everything out of her mouth was false, at least what pertained to the murder. I didn't have cable at the time of the trial so couldn't watch it, but I remember it well because there was so much about it on local tv.

Esteemed Contributor

She also was not likeable.  She agrees that she never should have taken the stand.  The jury didn't like her.  I didn't even like her.

Trusted Contributor

Spoiler

This short UTube video  was a documentary made while Jean was still in Prison. It is very good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fSHkVY3s25c

Trusted Contributor

I watched as well and I thought the parts that were left out of the original interview were very interesting. It helped to understand the trial a it more. 

Respected Contributor

i missed it as well, but i'm sure it will be re-run at some point. 

i read the book and it was very interesting.  she was hooked on drugs.  that was i think what caused her to lose control and do it.  not to mention he was a real cad.