Honored Contributor

I'll Probably Die a Romantic

[ Edited ]

If you told me earlier this evening that I would be channel-surfing, discover that Love in the Afternoon is airing on TCM and then decide to watch it once again tonight, I would have responded "beans" to you.

I've always loved the film and respected it, but I've never been charmed out of my mind by it.  Well, tonight was the night.  I'm unable to turn away from it.

I cannot step away from it (and am still watching it but taking a bit of a break).  Paris, the Ritz, the four-piece band, the song "Fascination"  -- even Gary Cooper!  After my first husband, I was never attracted to any man who wasn't at least nine years older than me.  Cooper has never made my heart skip a beat, but tonight I was ripe for his mature man charms.

I am feeling the same zing in my heart that Audrey Hepburn is feeling on the screen for Gary Cooper.  The romantic ambience, the music.  Too much for this old gal.  But what a great feeling to feel, even vicariously, the blood rush of love and a crush.

"Fascination"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2abgTrBIRo

Honored Contributor

Re: I'll Probably Die a Romantic

I will always be a romantic!  I much prefer the positive than humbug!

Honored Contributor

When I watch romantic movies I also love to see certain actors and their romantic relationships.  Gary Cooper impressed me in High Noon.  Bill Holden and Kim Novak in Picnic, wow.  Of course those are but two favorites, there are many others.  I don't think of myself as a romantic but there are certain movies which bring it out in me!!!!!

Respected Contributor

What's wrong with being a romantic. Some of the greatest literary, artists composers etc are romantic.

I hope to always be a romantic---brings the color and passion to life.

Honored Contributor

Yes I will probably die a romantic too. I love TCM and also watched Love in the Afternoon. 💕💕

Respected Contributor

To quote Joan Wilder in Romancing the Stone "Not a hopeless romantic but a hopeful romantic". DH and I love this movie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a warm feeling I got from knowing that others were deeply enjoying this delicious movie at the same time I was.

The mention of Cooper's electricity in High Noon made me remember that I had found him romantically compelling in that film.   But he really brought it home to me in Love in the Afternoon during last night's viewing. When he swept up Audrey Hepburn in his arms, I went right along with her.

And oh by gosh, by gum, when he held her in his arms as they danced -- I'm breathless just thinking about it.

Occasional Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

To quote Joan Wilder in Romancing the Stone "Not a hopeless romantic but a hopeful romantic". DH and I love this movie.

Great quote @silkyk!