Honored Contributor

How do you choose what movie you will watch?

[ Edited ]

Are you daring?

Is there a certain type of show?

Do you go by who is in it, like a favorite actor?

Like to be scared sometimes?

Respected Contributor

Re: How do you choose what movie you will watch?

[ Edited ]

If it doesn't meet my standards*, it's not worth my time.

*thumbs down to violence, crude, raunchy, demeaning, profanity, etc

Honored Contributor

I read the description/summary and then make a decision. If after watching it a few minutes if I don't care for it,I either turn it off or delete it.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I read the description/summary and then make a decision. If after watching it a few minutes if I don't care for it,I either turn it off or delete it.

I do the same.

It needs to have a good story and quality writing.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 I also look for good directing. Which is noticeable from a very few minutes of the film. 

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't go to the movie threatres, but on Netflix for example  I usually go by reading the summary of the film and the actors or by recommendations from others. Sometimes I will watch the beginning of the film if it doesn't hold my interest, I won't watch.  Not a fan of scary movies though.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's a very intuitive process of selection. I usually start with the genre (like docu-series, for example). There are also certain actors that I will always watch because they're good in everything (like Julianne Moore or Jessica Chastain, for example). Then, there are many shows that I would just automatically exclude for one reason or another...I never care for science fiction, Marvel movies, action movies that look like they're made for 12 year boys, animated movies, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

That's a good question.   I like all kinds of movies so I guess I am daring in a way, I like lots of different actors and no, I hate to be scared........On that note, for me it's generally what kind of mood I am in or the kind of day I've had.  For instance if it's been an intense day I just don't have the energy for an intense movie, that type of thing.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal I like action movies. I like thrillers, but not gory movies. I like a great rom-com. 

I love a good "bad" movie. Not like Sharknado movies that try too hard, but like Troll or Anaconda...ooh, Snakes On a Plane!!!! I love Snakes On A Plane!!

Zoey Deutch, Gary Oldman, Zendaya, Tom Holland, Emma Thonpson, Timothee Chalamet, Paul Giamotti, Zoe Saldana, Mark Ruffalo, Meryl Streep, Theo James, Tom Hardy, Emma Stone, Ayo Edebiri, Margo Martindale....so many actors that I will watch if I see that they are in a movie.

Angelina Jolie will make me avoid a movie harder than anything else!

Super Contributor

I love TCM and The Movie Channel and check out what is on daily and then record or watch what interests me.  I prefer 1940s movies and have certain Stars that I look for.  I find most current films don't hold my attention, are too noisy and I don't know who most of the cast is. Not a fan of Hallmark or Lifetime either, too predictable. Probably in the minority here but I prefer black and white movies and I have no interest in the large screen tvs.