Honored Contributor

Re: Hawaii Five-0 announcement

Okay, just for the heck of it, I just searched the Hawaii Five-0 actor (per episode)  salaries from this past season:

Alex OLoughlin - $100K

Scott Caan - $80k

It's also stated that both actors could possibly be paid around $200k per episode for the coming season.  

Looking at various things that came up in my searches is that when H 5-0 premiered in 2010 the actors were all promoted as an "ensemble cast".    This would mean the actors were on an equal par.  

HOWEVER, in more recent search items,  Kim and Park are listed as "supporting actors".     

No mention of anything about Chi McBride came up, so maybe his contract wasn't up for renewal this year ....  I'm just speculating here.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry to see them  both leave, especially Daniel Dae Kim.  I could understand they want a comparable increase and think they deserve it.  Even if they are listed as supporting actors, both have come a long way in their roles since the beginning.  I don't think Scott Caan deserves the same pay as Alex O'Laughlin, if that comes to be.  He has made it quite vocal that he doesn't like Hawaii and is totally absent from some episodes.  Also from what I have seen, Caan is never at the blessing ceremony at the start of  each season.   

I wish them both well, but the show won't be the same without them.

Honored Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

That's a shame, this gentlemen is a much superior actor to Scott Caan (who I believe is the worst present actor on television).  He's also very nice looking.  I liked the Grace character also.  So many have left the program perhaps the new season was just not meant to be.

@aggravated

I could not agree more about Scott Caan.  Thank goodness he is not in every episode.  The relationship between his character and McGarrett is juvenile and so unlike the original characters. 

Can the series.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@aggravated wrote:

That's a shame, this gentlemen is a much superior actor to Scott Caan (who I believe is the worst present actor on television).  He's also very nice looking.  I liked the Grace character also.  So many have left the program perhaps the new season was just not meant to be.

@aggravated

I could not agree more about Scott Caan.  Thank goodness he is not in every episode.  The relationship between his character and McGarrett is juvenile and so unlike the original characters. 

Can the series.

@lulu2    @aggravated

I agree about the juvenile bickering between Danny and McGarrett ...... HOWEVER ......  this is NOT Scott Caan's decision to play it this way.    In all fairness to Scott, this is how the producers want the relationship to be and this is how the writers have to write the dialogue.

Personally, I think they were going for a bickering "The Odd Couple" type of relationship, hoping for a little comedy, but I don't think it works.

When I watch this show, I am always surprised at the height difference between the two lead actors.   Alex is 6'2" and Scott is 5'7".     Where have you ever seen that much of a difference?   I can't think of even one other instance in modern TV .....   can you?    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't watch the show so don't really care who comes or goes... Without knowing more about the details, one really can't say what's fair, but, as we all know, with any TV show, there are the leads and there is the supporting cast... The leads or 'stars' get paid more... regardless of who might or might not be more talented...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

First thing I thought -- Park and Kim are the better actors on the show, filmed in the Pacific. Unwise move not to work with them regarding salaries. I don't know -- may lose interest watching now. Enjoyed Kim on LOST -- trusting both will find parts in the near future they are happy with.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hawaii-five-o-daniel-dae-kim-grace-park-peter-lenkov-1202488921/

In a statement posted on Twitter, Lenkov said, “Both actors chose not to extend their contracts. CBS was extremely generous and proactive in their renegotiation talks. So much so, the actors were getting unprecedented raises, but in the end they chose to move on. No one wanted to see them go–they are irreplaceable.”

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

I just read that Ian Anthony Dale (currently on I guess one and done Salvation), Meaghan Rath (Being Human that I loved), and Beulah Koale (I don't know if I'm familiar with this person) will be part of the 8th season of the show. I find it odd that Ian Anthony Dale will remain with the show now that his wife Kono has been written out. I wonder how it will be handled?

Honored Contributor

I saw that a few weeks ago and he said in his own words that he thought he should get equal pay.