Honored Contributor

It came into theaters yesterday for its 85th anniversary. I watched all four hours including intermission because Clark Gable is worth it. 😛

The burning Atlanta scenes are a whole other experience in theater. I had only ever seen it on tv with my grandmother when it used to be a two night tv event and on TCM when that channel launched decades ago. 

It was also the first time I watched it in Georgia, where I live now, which was also cool that I now know the places they reference in the film. I may have been the only Yankee in the theater. 😯

It's only out today and Wednesday if you want to catch it at a theater near you. 

Spoiler alert: He still doesn't give a ******. 😂☹️

We all applauded at the end. 👏 Some classics never die. ❤️

Super Contributor

My favorite movie of all time. Our 8th grade class went to see it at the Eastman Theater in Rochester, NY. The screen was big and I was so mesmerized by it. I am 71, so that was awhile ago. My daughter is named after Melanie.

Honored Contributor

I think that film is such an old cliche' type film. Saw it years ago,but won't watch it today.

As some have said,"It's been done".

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Respected Contributor

@fingerlakesny wrote:

My favorite movie of all time. Our 8th grade class went to see it at the Eastman Theater in Rochester, NY. The screen was big and I was so mesmerized by it. I am 71, so that was awhile ago. My daughter is named after Melanie.

Rochester native here ....

Respected Contributor

Re: Gone With the Wind

[ Edited ]

I also saw it in a large theater during its 30th Anniversary release.

I remember the excitement,  the audience reactions, an actual intermission....

I have multiple copies of it on different media:  VHS, DVD, laserdisc, a priceless interview with Olivia de Havilland on the 70th Anniversary DVD....

I can watch it over and over.  A cinematic masterpiece with unparalleled craftsmanship. 

The documentary The Making of Gone With the Wind is a must see for fans, including interviews with many then-surviving cast members, and screen tests of various Scarlett contenders including Susan Hayward,  Lana Turner, Paulette Goddard,  Joan Bennett and so much more!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 Glad you got to see it on the "big screen".

The first time I saw "Gone With The Wind". I was 20 something years old. It was being shown at a movie theatre two blocks from where I worked.

Someone mentioned that they wanted to see the movie. Well, by the end of the day, quite a group of us went to see the movie. It was fun to go as a big group. It was a bonding experience.

It was funny we had so much fun, we agreed we should do it again - never happened. 

Super Contributor

I also went in high school to see this movie in Philadelphia on a bus from New Jersey with my history class. I have always loved this movie and books about the south. I would ride around, visiting relatives looking for the old plantations and tour many.  Back in the 80s I was in Atlanta passing time during the day while my husband was in classes and I went to a museum and Butterfly McQueen was there talking and giving autographs, what a thrill .  My daughter now lives in the south and I remember when she was in college seeing my first Cotton field.  I recently watched GWTW during Oscar week!  There is a lot to learn from this movie!

Honored Contributor

One of the best movies ever. 

Respected Contributor

I havn't seen it in a long time but now I want too. Such a great movie.

Respected Contributor

Re: Gone With the Wind

[ Edited ]

"Ladies and gentlemen, please forgive me if my words are inadequate in thanking you for your very great kindness. If I were to mention all those who have shown me such wonderful generosity through "Gone with the Wind" I should have to entertain you with an oration as long as "Gone with the Wind" itself.

So if I may, I should like to devote my thanks on this occasion to that composite figure of energy, courage, and very great kindness, in whom all points of "Gone with the Wind" meet -- Mr. David Selznick."

1000003169.jpg

1000003170.jpg