Respected Contributor

Re: Ever DVR'd a TV Show and Fast Forwarded Over the Commercials?

Yes, 99.9% of the time I record everything just so I can skip over the commercials. I don't have the patience to watch 5 minutes of a show and then non-stop commercial breaks. You can get through shows so much faster when skipping over all of the commercials.

Super Contributor

Why wouldn't anyone not fast forward through the commercials? We dvr everything and wait about an hour to watch anything so as to not have to sit through commercials.

Honored Contributor

That's the best part about recording a show....speeding over the stupid commercials. It's an eyeopener, how much time out of a 30 or 60 minute show is real programming

Honored Contributor

On 12/31/2014 Linders Back said:

Some studies have actually shown that people retain more of the commercials they fast forward through than if they watch them live. Concentrating on when to hit ""play"" to resume the show makes you pay more attention to the items advertised even though you don't listen to the ads.

That's interesting. I wonder how they can do that. I go on FF3 and it's all I can do to watch the time count to stop at the end of the time period of a commercial segment (for most channels it's somewhere around four minutes). I don't see any of the content. I'm wondering if generic DVRs don't have three speeds of fast-forwarding so you end up seeing the stuff (?).

Super Contributor

I seldom watch a program as it is being shown. Tape almost everything. And, yes, I do fast forward through the commercials. I have timed the commercials during the Hallmark movies, - - - 5 minutes!!!
Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2015 dobiesrule said: I seldom watch a program as it is being shown. Tape almost everything. And, yes, I do fast forward through the commercials. I have timed the commercials during the Hallmark movies, - - - 5 minutes!!!

Ha! They must be related. I find that on Lifetime movies the commercial segments are around 5 minutes too.

Super Contributor

It's really ridiculous. If I didn't have the ability to ff through the commercials, I doubt I would sit through a movie on Hallmark or Lifetime.
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I'd end up finding myself walking away to do something else if I had to sit through those commercial segments!

Amazing how spoiled we have gotten. Smiley Happy I love love love my Tivos!

Respected Contributor

I do it all of the time for years!
Honored Contributor

I have been doing this as long as I have had a recorder, this is nothing new with me, like 30 yrs!!!