Super Contributor

EXTANT: Cancel or Keep the Halle Berry Series?

Last summer, CBS found ratings success with new series Under the Dome. This summer, they introduced Extant, a sci-fi series starring Halle Berry. Has it been a hit as well? Will the series be renewed for a second season or will it be cancelled instead?

On Extant, astronaut Molly Woods (Berry) returns to Earth after a year-long solo mission in outer space. Her reunion with her family is thrown into turmoil when it’s learned that she’s pregnant. Others in the cast include Goran Visnjic, Pierce Gagnon, Hiroyuki Sanada, Camryn Manheim, Grace Gummer, and Michael O’Neill.

Debuting on July 9th, the series got off to a decent start and attracted a 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 9.58 million viewers. In week two, the ratings saw a moderate decline which is not unexpected for a new series. Unfortunately, the numbers took a big dip in week three.

The ratings seem to have now leveled off and the show consistently draws a 1.0 rating in the demo with under six million viewers. Those are hardly impressive numbers for an expensive show with a movie star as the lead.

(Source: tvseriesfinale.com - Published: September 3, 2014)

Honored Contributor

Re: EXTANT: Cancel or Keep the Halle Berry Series?

I listen to Entertainment Weekly on XM radio. They often have me in hysterics with some of their comments and 'run downs' on these shows.

They've commented several times that this show is terrible (I've seen several episodes and it didn't interest me) that most people aren't interested at all.

They have said that even a wonderful star like Halle couldn't save this show.

I don't know the answer. I only know that after seeing a few episodes (the beginning, a few afterwards that and one recently) I wasn't interested.

I do love seeing her on the small screen though.

Honored Contributor

This was only supposed to be a 10 episode series.

Super Contributor

Usually I'm not a sci-fi fan, but the promos for Extant were enticing, the plot was intriguing and with a cast that included Academy Award winner, Halle Berry as well as E.R. alumnus Goran Visnjic, The Practice's Camryn Manheim and Grace Gummer, Meryl Streep's daughter and frequent guest star on The Good Wife, how could it miss?

Well, for me, it missed by a mile. I was bored to tears and confused by the convoluted, clumsily handled flashbacks/hallucinations/dream sequences. I gave up after only three episodes.

Infinitely more interesting in the same genre was Lifetime's chilling dystopian futuristic thriller, The Lottery. I got hooked on the first episode and kept returning for each week's new installment. It was more profound than simply a world in which people weren't able to conceive children, but provocative in its exploration of such timely issues as Big Government, privacy and individuals' reproductive rights. It served as an allegory for so many of the controversial issues confronting us today.

Honored Contributor

keri, you write amazing critics. Are you sure you don't do that for a living? You pique my curiosity on the show called The Lottery. I love the way you put words together.

I'm glad you decided to post here. I hope you continue, you add a lot to this board.

Respected Contributor

On 9/4/2014 keri said:

Usually I'm not a sci-fi fan, but the promos for Extant were enticing, the plot was intriguing and with a cast that included Academy Award winner, Halle Berry as well as E.R. alumnus Goran Visnjic, The Practice's Camryn Manheim and Grace Gummer, Meryl Streep's daughter and frequent guest star on The Good Wife, how could it miss?

Well, for me, it missed by a mile. I was bored to tears and confused by the convoluted, clumsily handled flashbacks/hallucinations/dream sequences. I gave up after only three episodes.

Infinitely more interesting in the same genre was Lifetime's chilling dystopian futuristic thriller, The Lottery. I got hooked on the first episode and kept returning for each week's new installment. It was more profound than simply a world in which people weren't able to conceive children, but provocative in its exploration of such timely issues as Big Government, privacy and individuals' reproductive rights. It served as an allegory for so many of the controversial issues confronting us today.

I fine the show interesting because it talks about futuristic things that are unfolding before us...
This is not political it is about awareness how real Robots are among us....
Super Contributor

I wanted to give this series a chance but I lost interest by the 4th episode. It just seemed too all over the place and that may be because they wanted to wrap it up in 10 episodes.

Honored Contributor

On 9/4/2014 annabellethecat said:

I listen to Entertainment Weekly on XM radio. They often have me in hysterics with some of their comments and 'run downs' on these shows.

They've commented several times that this show is terrible (I've seen several episodes and it didn't interest me) that most people aren't interested at all.

They have said that even a wonderful star like Halle couldn't save this show.

I don't know the answer. I only know that after seeing a few episodes (the beginning, a few afterwards that and one recently) I wasn't interested.

I do love seeing her on the small screen though.

If I am reading it correctly, Halle Berry is one of the producers of the show. So apparently she thought it was going to be a hit. I'm not a fan of sci-fi and robots, so I never could get interested in the show. Josh Holloway also produced his new show that went south. He should have played a character in a RL series similar to his "Sawyer" character, a brash, forceful, se*xy rake of a guy. The venue wouldn't have mattered. Instead he chose a sci-fi series where he had a chip in his head that made a computer out of him.

Why was Gray's Anatomy such a hit? And other medical/hospital shows of the past? All of the law and detective shows usually do well also. They've cancelled a great show . . . "Reckless," because . . . why? It's too ordinary? I like shows I can relate to in RL.

So now what do we have? Monday night, all football on CBS. Thursday night, all football on NBC, and football and other sports all weekend. Makes the men happy, I guess.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Some in their minds do not want to entertain the realm of Robots or cloning yet it is here and going on....

The stuff talked about in the news that different local police want Robots is child's play compare to what really exist...

the Futurist have made good on their view of the world of Tomorrow the denies can ignore it all they want but it is here....

Those consumed in pop Culture seem to always want to stay in La La Land while progress continues some that might even interfere with their life, ignorance is no excuse if we choose to have something remove, because it bother them personally, there are others that have the right to know. Man was given agency by its Creator!

A very human-like robot invented by Japanese engineers as time goes by these things get more perfected when are people on this planet going to wake up and dump the PC propaganda? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTfzYDZG8c

This is what Google is working on...

'Transhumanists' are planning to upload your mind to a ...

Apr 3, 2014 - Ray Kurzweil - probably the world's most famous Transhumanist,
who works for Google - thinks that mind uploading will be possible some ...
PostHuman: An Introduction to Transhumanism

Respected Contributor

On 9/5/2014 Javala-la said:

Some in their minds do not want to entertain the realm of Robots or cloning yet it is here and going on....

The stuff talked about in the news that different local police want Robots is child's play compare to what really exist...

the Futurist have made good on their view of the world of Tomorrow the denies can ignore it all they want but it is here....

Those consumed in pop Culture seem to always want to stay in La La Land while progress continues some that might even interfere with their life, ignorance is no excuse if we choose to have something remove, because it bother them personally, there are others that have the right to know. Man was given agency by its Creator!

A very human-like robot invented by Japanese engineers as time goes by these things get more perfected when are people on this planet going to wake up and dump the PC propaganda? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTfzYDZG8c

This is what Google is working on...

'Transhumanists' are planning to upload your mind to a ...

Apr 3, 2014 - Ray Kurzweil - probably the world's most famous Transhumanist,
who works for Google - thinks that mind uploading will be possible some ...
PostHuman: An Introduction to Transhumanism

Micro minds have trouble when things that get more complicated than The Millers, they get stuck in PC land, oh I don't like Hallie Berry, or it is all over the place ,well so is our planet we live in today, there is chaos going on, if many do not rise above our distracted small world, we will no longer have sovereignty over our will.

Years ago many was taught critical thinking now if it has more that two things going on it at once man recoils...

If man does not take charge of his own thinking something else will do it for him!