Valued Contributor

Is anyone else watching this dumpster-fire show, lolol?  Geez, Abbey is such a &*$#@.  Always was, but looking back on it now.........  How did those mothers keep their daughters in her studio???

Honored Contributor

I think originally I watched it until Chloe left. She was my favorite dancer.

I watched a little of one of the first episodes yesterday on Youtube and I agree @snipsnapsnur that Abbey was awful, actually abusive and mean. I just couldn't watch much and was surprised I lasted through so many seasons.

But it was the dancers that kept me watching and wondering how they would do and come out of all this.

It was sad, and yes I wouldn't have kept my daughter in her studio.

I saw it while watching some of Dance Life that my daughter and granddaughter are watching.

In the trailer the dances look wonderful but I'm not sure I can go through all that drama again.

My youngest was in a dance studio and I was reminded of all those hours of rehearsal, sometimes til midnight on a school night. They also performed in NY, and other places.

Sometimes hurtful things from the instructor toward one of the other girls or her feeling that nothing and I mean nothing took precedence over the rehearsals.

I guess most successful dance studio owners and choreographers have a rather large ego and want to shine on their own and don't always consider the feelings of their students over the publicity of their own accomplishments.Not all but a lot.

Still, it was something my daughter loved to do-the dance and the friendship with the other girls, and of course it is now a treasured memory for me and my family to have watched her dance.

She was old enough to know how long and how much she wanted to do it and all in all she told me it was a good memory, a good time, for her too. 

Sorry for going on so long. I guess there is a lot of dance history in my whole family now that I think of it.

And that is a nice thing to think of.

"Dance as if no one is watching."Heart (-a quote form Mark Twain surprisingly!)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay @snipsnapsnur 

I have to agree ... Abbey was awful and abusive to those little girls.   My granddaughter has been in dance for 5 years and is on her way to Nationals.  She has always had the respect and support from her teachers.  Obviously why she is successful and loves the group she is in....

Honored Contributor

@Mombo1,

That is nice to hear and as it should beSmiley HappyHeart

I also remember that the dance instructor and all the other dance groups had beautiful choreography.

There was none of this innapropriate costumes and dance moves especially for the very young under 5 groups, that I see today.

The clip that I watched of Abbey's was she had the girls in very skimpy outfits and supposedly sexy moves because she saw that was being done in LA.

They got no awards at all for that dance and the judges sent a message.

All the dance moms except Maddie's mom disapproved loudly to Abbey. But you couldn't argue with her ever.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Mombo1,

That is nice to hear and as it should beSmiley HappyHeart

I also remember that the dance instructor and all the other dance groups had beautiful choreography.

There was none of this innapropriate costumes and dance moves especially for the very young under 5 groups, that I see today.

The clip that I watched of Abbey's was she had the girls in very skimpy outfits and supposedly sexy moves because she saw that was being done in LA.

They got no awards at all for that dance and the judges sent a message.

All the dance moms except Maddie's mom disapproved loudly to Abbey. But you couldn't argue with her ever.

@on the bay    I can't tell you how many recitals that I have attended for my granddaughter.  I have never seen inappropriate dress or dance moves since she has been participating over five years...Her mom's only complaint is the amount of money she has spent on all the outfits 🤦🏻‍♀️....but feels it was well worth it since my granddaughter has loved every minute.  Now her little sisters are joining the group.  They are 6 and 7.    If Abbey was the teacher... none of them would be participating.  

Honored Contributor

@Mombo1,

The ones my grandaughter is in are dance competions, not recitals. I love the dance recitals which are lovely.  It's the dance competions that get crazy. So 5 and up if they ar eligable they get into dance competions across the state, then national I guess. They have to love it (the girls, not the moms).

Respected Contributor

I am not watching any of the repeats although I was an avid fan of the show when it was broadcast.

I think people today are used to everything being a lot kinder and softer, with teachers trying to be encouraging rather than disciplinarians.

There is a way of learning that I call "old school," and I think Abby experienced that when she was learning dance and growing up, so that is how she taught.

I took ballet for many years when I was quite young, and the teacher (old school Russian ballerina) used to hit our legs and feet with a yardstick when they were in the wrong position.  It comes a bit from that old saying of "spare the rod and spoll the child." You would learn or else!

I compare it a bit to Gordon Ramsay, who yells and curses at his trainee chefs.  We had a very famous French chef here in Philly who was exactly the same way.  

Of course, those Dance Moms parents were free to leave at any time and take their children away.  They all liked the publicity and the extra paycheck, and all the controversies made the show last for several seasons. 

I do think that Abby produced beautiful dance recitals and really knew how to develop her students.  It is a testament to the impact of the show that they are still showing repeats years later.

Honored Contributor

In another life, I'd love to attend dance classes, only as a hobby.  Not competitive.

I believe I will search local seniors beginners' dance studios.   Maybe at community centers......

Thank you for prompting me to think about dance!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

My granddaughter is 16 and has been taking dance lessons for years. She's changed from an overweight kid to a slender young lady. She's made friends. Costumes are appropriate. 

She teaches younger groups and they love her. Her school is doing Competition dancing and they are on the list for Nationals. Her solo won first and she choreographed another. 
   The instructors make the difference.

💃  👯👯‍♂️👯

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

My granddaughter is 16 and has been taking dance lessons for years. She's changed from an overweight kid to a slender young lady. She's made friends. Costumes are appropriate. 

She teaches younger groups and they love her. Her school is doing Competition dancing and they are on the list for Nationals. Her solo won first and she choreographed another. 
   The instructors make the difference.

💃  👯👯‍♂️👯

@1Snickers   How wonderful hearing about your granddaughter and how inspiring she is to others.  I love to watch dancing shows, however, not Dance Moms anymore.