Honored Contributor

Re: American Idol 2020 Season 18

Sunday night, the last contestant that was pregnant, her story was heartbreaking. She is very mature at 23 ( I think), knowing she wasn’t ready for motherhood, giving her baby the chance at a better life. I’m glad she made it to the next round. That girl who got the chance to sing on the street at her audition didn’t make it through, I didn’t think she was good enough to go to Hollywood. I wonder if the show will proceed, with what’s going on I would think Katy being pregnant wouldn’t want to be around a large group of people, they also wouldn’t have a studio audience.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Sunday night, the last contestant that was pregnant, her story was heartbreaking. She is very mature at 23 ( I think), knowing she wasn’t ready for motherhood, giving her baby the chance at a better life. I’m glad she made it to the next round. That girl who got the chance to sing on the street at her audition didn’t make it through, I didn’t think she was good enough to go to Hollywood. I wonder if the show will proceed, with what’s going on I would think Katy being pregnant wouldn’t want to be around a large group of people, they also wouldn’t have a studio audience.

Production has been suspended and the contestants sent home. 

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom thanks for the update. I wonder if production will start up again at a later date?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2, The article I read said that the current episodes will continue to air through mid April, which is when the live shows would have started, but the producers will continue to evaluate things on a week-to-week basis.

I agree with the previous posts, really good singers this season.  I hope they are able to pick it back up.

Honored Contributor

American Idol is shutting things down. The series has canceled rehearsals and sent contestants home just two weeks before the live performances are set to begin.

Deadline reported that Fremantle is allowing editors to continue editing the already taped episodes at home. A decision about the live performances has not been made yet. They may go forward, but it would be without a live audience.

The live episodes are set to start on Monday, March 30. The Monday episodes of American Idol just started airing this week with the journey to Hollywood just beginning for the contestants.

Deadline revealed that “there will likely need to be additional modifications made for those shows to proceed amid a pandemic. It is conceivable that the producers and ABC could use additional existing footage for an extra episode or two to buy themselves some time while they evaluate the situation and make a final decision whether to proceed with live shows and, if they do, in what shape or form.”

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/american-idol-abc-series-rehearsals-cancelled-contestants-sent-ho...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I just finished watching last night's episode ( I was watching The Voice). They let some good singers go, and some not as good stay. They must have based their decisions on the body of work, because if they were going strictly based on their last performance some of them should have been out.

Respected Contributor

It's hard for me to remember who was let go that was good.

I just know that I'm glad that Margie is gone.  That last song was horrible and I didn't think that her boyfriend was that great either.  They always focus on the couples and they sure did when he went looking through the crowd for her.   

Honored Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

It's hard for me to remember who was let go that was good.

I just know that I'm glad that Margie is gone.  That last song was horrible and I didn't think that her boyfriend was that great either.  They always focus on the couples and they sure did when he went looking through the crowd for her.   

When they send people home in Hawaii you'll probably think back, oh so and so didn't make the top forty?

Esteemed Contributor

Total trivia.  I was watching the other night's show and they showed the vocal coach with the last name McPhee.   I remembered Katherine McPhee's mom was a vocal coach so I looked her up.  Sure enough, that is Katherine McPhee's sister.

Respected Contributor

What did everyone think of last nights show?

I thought the right people went through.  I liked the girl who did Selena's song. 

The ones who went home were off-key to me! 

This was taped in January.  I'm going to miss having the live shows!