Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon vs QVC--your thoughts

Price - amazon is always much less, 1/2 the amt q chanrges

Free s/h if over $49 or so, prime probably better yet

More variety, much the same as on the q

Shipping wait is about the same, no prob

If you have questions/problems it's easy to email amazon and/or seller directly - you will here back

Easy returns, quick turn around on receipt of credit/refund

Just to name a few

Honored Contributor

@White flowers wrote:

Oh yes and then their is Zappos.  Another online retailer that delivers in 1-2 days, no prime membership fees, no shipping or return fees, very good product video, and amazing customer service. Yet another competitor for my money. 

Same company, not another company. Zappos is Amazon.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Silkeej wrote:

I will say when shopping with Amazon you need to be careful and watch their prices on items. I was told Amazon does not set prices the vendors do and Amazon doesn't  check to make sure if they are out of line. Example "new" cookbook cost 19.98 plus shipping the same book only now it is " used" selling on Amazon for 49.95 plus shipping. Does that sound like a good buy? and yet there it sits on their website. At least at QVC you are being given fair prices and reasonable shipping and your items are new.

There's another difference - Amazon believes people are adults and capable of checking things out themselves and making their own decisions with logic and common sense, whereas QVC hopes you have no logic, just love them, and buy because you love them, never mind the value aspect.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde yes Moonchilde zappos and Amazon are under the same corporation but have a somewhat different structure & focus. I'm looking forward to the day when drones deliver my packages! 

Respected Contributor

I've had both good and bad experiences with Amazon.  I'm a prime member, don't know how you get prime for just $50.

Not all participating Amazon vendors deliver in 1-2 days and apparently Amazon does not require their participating vendors to even provide a basic level of package tracking.  It really all depends on what vendor you are buying from.  In addition, many times the Prime price is significantly higher than the price from a non-prime vendor.  Again, it really depends on what you're buying and who you're buying from.  Amazon isn't a single source.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

"Amazon takes online orders (try to find a phone # for them)"

This the main reason I do not use Amazon.   I do not shop online unless the merchant has a toll free # sales department like QVC as well as accept payments by personal check and/or money orders. 

@WhiteFlowers

"I don't have to go to a store and waste my time shopping and not find what I need."

You don't have to in this day & age.  Go to the store's website & enter your zip code.  Select the item you are interested in & the website will let you know if the item is available at your local store and/or all their stores within a 50 mile radius.

Matter of fact I did just the above last night for Staples for a chair I was interested in.  My local Staples had one left.  Went there first thing this morning before the heat & humidy kicked in. willy.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

I love Amazon!

i don't need much of what QVC sells, I have enough clothes makeup kitchen stuff for 3 people. On Amazon I get stuff like: Avery postcards/notecards for my husband's business, a new cord to rewire a lamp, a certain brand of cat litter, Watkin's soup base, fancy cookie cutters, a new charger for my battery-starter lawnmower, etc, etc,......

Valued Contributor

I have been an Amazon Prime member for years, I pay $99/year, up from $79/year 2 years ago.  I have never seen prime for $50, so I am also guessing it is a student rate.

I enjoy streaming video and music, so for me it is worth it, just for that.

I will compare prices of items I am considering buying from the Q, and most of the time QVC is cheaper, but this is not always the case.

I feed my dog Blue Buffalo grain-free food, which is $16 cheaper on Amazon, so that pays for the membership.

On the Amazon site you do have to look at different price points for the same item, as prices can vary significantly, sometimes by as much as 50%.

One thing that I do on Amazon:  I put items in my cart and let them sit there for a day or two, usually the price drops quite a bit, then I buy it.  If the price doesn't drop to where I would like it, I put it in "save it for later" and sure enough, the price drops.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Trusted Contributor

.  I absolutely love Amazon!  We buy so much from Amazon as Prime members.  Just today we had something delivered.

In July I made my first purchase from Amazon UK, and I also got free shipping.  From start to finish, it took a week to receive the shoes I ordered.

My sons and daughter-in-laws have returned a lot ,but I only order clothing or shoes if I know for sure they are what I want and will fit.

I realize I am part of the demise of brick and mortar businesses, but I just love the speed and convenience (and price) from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to add one of my favorite perks from Amazon is the ask the customer function.  You can ask a question of the people that own the product, and  Amazon will email you with the answers as they come in. It has been very helpful.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan