Honored Contributor

Wimbledon - Sun, July 3 - ESPN2 tennis starting 6:30am ET - middle sunday tennis

[ Edited ]

On Saturday while I was watching tennis later in the day, they kept mentioning that there would be "middle Sunday" tennis for the fourth time ever (because all of the rain delays). 

But it wasn't until late last night that Tennis Channel announced that coverage would begin on ESPN2 at 6:30am. I DVRed the Tennis Channel coverage because I was hoping for an announcement.

It's been confusing because my TV schedule still doesn't show this schedule change... but I'm watching ESPN2 and Wimbledon coverage began a few minutes ago at 6:30am ET. 

Also, from 3-6pm ET this afternoon ABC has Wimbledon coverage scheduled. Generally they just show a wrap up of this past week's coverage, but I don't know if today's tennis action will cause them to modify their plans.

Middle Sunday tennis is great because the Centre Court atmosphere is really lively.

Typically, only 500 tickets are allotted for the two main courts to those who wait in the public queue. All others are distributed through a lottery and to its membership. For this Sunday, 10,000 tickets were sold online for Centre Court, 8000 for Court One, and 4000 for grounds passes. -- lol, the more tickets are available to the general public, as opposed to the extremely stuffy Wimbledon members, the more lively the matches are.

One of the Commentators, Mary Jo Fernandez, just said that they will be looking at 12 matches today: six women's matches and six men's matches.

ESPN2 just listed the matches they will be following below. I'm not home and the TV reception were I am is not great. I've listed the names as best I could but I'm sure their are a lot of spelling errors. -- I just wanted to list them so that everyone would know what's on schedule today.

Enjoy!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Official Wimbledon site

http://www.wimbledon.com/index.html

____

The Centre Court schedule includes:

* (27) C. Vanderweghe vs. (6) R. Vinci

* (1) S. Williams vs. A. Beck

* (24) A. Zverev vs. (10) T. Berdych

The Court One schedule includes: 

* (18) S. Stevphens vs. (13) S. Kuznetsova 

* (15) N. Kyrgios vs. (22) F. Lopez 

* J. Vesely vs. (31) J. Sousa

Court 2: 

* (11) Bascinzky vs. (21) Pavlyutnenkova

* Conclusion of (18) Isner vs. (12) Tsonga 

Court 3: 

* Makarova vs. (24) Strycova 

Court 12:

* Vesnina vs. Boserup

* Conclusion of (32) Pouille vs. Del Potro

Court 18:

* Conclusion of (7) Gasquet vs. Ramos-Vinolas

____

cc: @MickD @deepwaterdotter @Black Cat Back @soonersis @butterfly123 @pupwhipped

Respected Contributor

Re: Wimbledon - Sun, July 3 - ESPN2 tennis starting 6:30am ET - middle sunday tennis

@bebe777, thanks so much. I've definitely been watching as much Wimbledon as I can. It's certainly been an interesting tournament thus far.

Happy Tennis watching to YOU! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Wimbledon - Sun, July 3 - ESPN2 tennis starting 6:30am ET - middle sunday tennis

@bebe777

We watched part of Novak Djokovic and Sam Querrey yesterday. I was sad to see Novak leave, but happy for Sam as well.

Djokovic mentioned in the after game interview that there were personal issues going on and kept the interview short. I hope everything works out for him.

We saw Sam at the Andy Roddick Foundation fundraiser five years ago. The Bryan brothers, Pete Sampras and Warren Buffet were also there to play tennis. The tennis matches were hilarious as all the money went to charity. Andy Roddick was unable to attend due to a death in the family.

The Bryan brother's grandfather was the official for the games. 

Looking forward to to watching some tennis today.

Thank you for posting the information!

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123, that must have been so much fun. Smiley Happy

Sampras had such great form that I'm sure that he is still playing at a very high level. 

I actually prefer to watch doubles and the Bryan brothers are my current favorites to watch. They just instinctively know what the other is going to do. -- It's always mystified me that, especially on the men's side, that so many great men's teams seem to break up after a few years. 

The Woodies were always my favorites. I saw them at the US Open many years ago before anyone knew who they were and was immediately hooked. I remember watching some of their early matches: me, maybe 8-10 other folks, and a few members of their families. lol, nos that was tennis up close and personal. Smiley Wink

-- bebe Smiley Happy