Respected Contributor

Valieva Skating Hearing Decision

[ Edited ]

She can compete but won't have a medals ceremony if she wins. AND NEITHER WILL ANY OTHER WINNERS IN HER CATEGORIES. Good grief! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Valleva Skating Hearing Decision

Good grief, is right.  I feel so sorry for that girl.  She is a phenomenal skater and was in tears after her brilliant long program because she made one small mistake. 

And from what I read in the NY Times, it took 6 weeks to get the results of her drug test back in December.  What???  IMO, all Russian athletes should be banned from all competitions.  This is an endless story with that country.

Respected Contributor

Re: Valieva Skating Hearing Decision

Not fair to the rest who play by the rules.  

Respected Contributor

a cop-out decision, so they won't tick off the Russians.

Super Contributor

Totally unfair to all other competitors!  The International Olympic Committee is an absolute joke!

Honored Contributor

I used to watch the Olympics every year.  I always enjoyed the skaters but saw too much bias with the judges.  I understand rules and regulations and of course substance abuse doesn't have any place in sports although it is often found.  

I agree this Russian skater should be held accountable and have consequences but those on the team who aren't involved shouldn't be punished also.  It reminds me of school when one child would be talking while the teacher taught and the entire class had to stay after school.  It isn't fair.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO the IOC is crooked as all get out. Something definitely stinks in that organization. Or someone (or more than one) is/are getting paid off. I don't doubt it for a second.

Honored Contributor

Re: Valleva Skating Hearing Decision

@kaydee50 wrote:

Good grief, is right.  I feel so sorry for that girl.  She is a phenomenal skater and was in tears after her brilliant long program because she made one small mistake. 

And from what I read in the NY Times, it took 6 weeks to get the results of her drug test back in December.  What???  IMO, all Russian athletes should be banned from all competitions.  This is an endless story with that country.

@kaydee50 

Okay, you obviously know more about this story than I do. 

What "mistake" did she make?  She is a minor and I would think ANY legitimate medications would be reported.  Are you saying this was taken for non-medical reasons?  

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

She can compete but won't have a medals ceremony if she wins. AND NEITHER WILL ANY OTHER WINNERS IN HER CATEGORIES. Good grief! 

@PickyPicky3  Does that mean if she & the other Russian win any medals, they will not be able to stand on the podium w/the rest of the medal winners?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac 

As of this morning, it was worse than that. If she wins any medal in any category, there will be no medal ceremony at all. Other countries are objecting. So unfair. 

I just checked Associated Press. They say the IOC will hold a "dignified medal ceremony" when this case is concluded.