Respected Contributor

I wasn't watching the Olympics, but my husband has encouraged me to join him watching curling. I am watching something that appears to be a combination of shuffleboard, pool, bowling, and a touch of Angry Birds. I have no clue about the scoring, the strategy, or how those  people are guiding that rock. The funny thing is I like it. I remember glancing at it in past Olympics but not really paying attention.

Is this a common sport in colder climates? Do cities have curling venues open to the public? What are those shoes that glide but also allow walking?

Esteemed Contributor

@On It,  the following link is the clearest explanation of curling shoes I've found.  Within the article is a link to Goldline which has even more detail about the shoes.

Curling has become increasingly popular and there are curling facilities but I don't know where they are located.  I learned today there is "baby curling" designed for youngsters to learn curling.

insider.com/curling-shoes-bottoms-materials-vary-by-dominant-hand-2022-2

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp Thank you for the link. It was very helpful.

Honored Contributor

The last Winter Olympics my son was fascinated with curling. He has been watching all the meets. Then and now.

A local ice skating rink has a curling club. He tried to get lessons during the last Olympics but their time slots were filled. He wanted to take lessons first. And they were all booked for lessons 

He didn't talk about trying to do curling lately. But he has been watching all the meets.

There is a TV show called "How It"s Made". One episode was the making of the curling stone. It was so interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

Darn you @drizzellla, you sent me down a rabbit hole!  I did a search on the term How it's made +curling stone which resulted in hours worth of reading.

If anyone wants to follow me down the rabbit hole this is a link to the search results.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+it%27s+made+curling+stones&t=h_&ia=web

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp 

Try this -

Curling Stones/Refrigerators/Aluminium Baseball Bats/Opalescent Glass

• Episode aired 2007
  • TV-G
  • 22m

Storyline

Only two quarries in the world can provide the specific type of fine-grained, quartz-free granite needed to make curling stones: one in Wales, and one in Scotland. 

Respected Contributor

I think I must be crazy. I LOVE to watch curling and I don't have a clue either about the scoring, strategy, or most anything else about it. I don't know a good shot from a bad shot. And I've watched it many times over the years...even tuned in for the recent U.S. trials to select the teams. I've learned absolutely nothing from continually watching it! And the few times I Googled to try and learn I didn't get very far with that either. I can only imagine how much more I might enjoy it if I knew what the heck was going on. Ha! The only thing I do know is the torque the shooter puts on his knee makes mine hurt just looking at it. Woman Surprised 

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

I think I must be crazy. I LOVE to watch curling and I don't have a clue either about the scoring, strategy, or most anything else about it. I don't know a good shot from a bad shot. And I've watched it many times over the years...even tuned in for the recent U.S. trials to select the teams. I've learned absolutely nothing from continually watching it! And the few times I Googled to try and learn I didn't get very far with that either. I can only imagine how much more I might enjoy it if I knew what the heck was going on. Ha! The only thing I do know is the torque the shooter puts on his knee makes mine hurt just looking at it. Woman Surprised 

DITTO!  I read your response to my husband, and he laughed out loud. He said to tell you he totally agrees.

Honored Contributor

Over the years, I've occasionally tried to watch curling.  It's sort of like watching paint dry.  I always ask myself, "why?"

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

A friend's daughter joined a curling club in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC.  She ended up losing weight with the additional exercise but also ended up meeting her huband.  It was a cute story.