1 3/4 cups slivered almonds 

1 cup walnuts

2 tbsp sugar

1 1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cloves

Pastry:

5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

1 lb 14"x9" sheets thawed phyllo dough

Bring sugar, water, honey, zest, juice, cinnamon stick, whole cloves, and 1/8 tsp salt to boil in saucepan over over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.  Cool completely in 2-cup measuring cup.  Throw out spices and zest.

Pulse almonds in food processor for 20 pulses and place in dish.  Pulse walnuts for 15 pulses and add to almonds.  Stir nuts together and reserve 1 tbsp in dish for later.  Stir sugar, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and 1/8 tsp salt into rest of nut mixture.

Place 1 untorn phyllo sheet in bottom of greased 13"x9" baking pan and brush with olive oil.  Repeat with 7 more sheets of dough. 

Evenly sprinkle 1 cup nut mixture over dough.  Cover with 6 sheets of dough, brushing each with oil.  (If some phyllo sheets are torn, use them here.)  Evenly sprinkle with rest of nut filling.

Cover with 7 more sheets of dough, brushing each with oil.  Working from center outward, use palms to compress layers and press out air pockets.  Cover with a final, untorn sheet of dough and brush with remaining (make sure you have 2 tbsp) oil.

Place pan in freezer for 1/2 hour.  Cut into diamonds with point of serrated knife.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, lower oven temperature to 300 degrees, and continue baking for 45 more minutes.  Immediately pour all but 2 tbsp sugar syrup over cut lines.  Drizzle rest of syrup evenly over top.

Garnish center of each piece with a pinch of reserved nuts.  

Let cool in pan for 3 hours, cover with foil, and let sit at room temperature for 8 hours before serving. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: what can i make with phyllo sheets?

what wonderful recipes and ideas.  i am going to try them.  i love to cook and this is going to be fun.  now all i need to do is find the time.

Honored Contributor

Who buys 10 boxes of phyllo sheets?? Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@shortbreadlover

Phyllo can  be used as a topping for  a large or individual-serving-sized chicken pot pie or beef shepherds' pie, or to top a ramekin full of your favorite soup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Brie en croute.  You can cut phyllo dough into squares of about 3 inches each and brown in muffin cups.  Add some of the following:  To each teaspoon of lemon curd, add 2 tsp of cool whip.  Top with a raspberry.  Mix together softened cream cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and pesto, fill each cup to near the top with these after the browned muffin-size phyllo dough has cooled down.  Add 1 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon chocolate pudding, top with cool whip and add a cherry to top. Mix pepper jelly with cream cheese and add to cups.   Add 1 teaspoon of artichoke dip to each.  Almost anything you might scoop or put on a cracker can be used in phyllo cups made from phyllo dough.

Honored Contributor

jumbo muffin tins.......place several slices of phyllo dough inside to make cups.

brush with a little butter and sprinkle with some sugar and bake.

use for ice cream and toppings......a delicious easy dessert.

i love using them for chicken pot pie casseroles......or any casserole that you can put a topping on. makes it look a little fancier.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

I just went to a resturant down south that made potato knishes and they used mashed potatoes and onions for the filling and phyllo dough as the crust. They were amazing.