Trusted Contributor

any slese notice that the corn beef

in the package has a water weight of  up to 35%?  i noticed this with the kroger brand of corned beef.

i put it back.  why would i want to pay beef prices for added water?  35% is over 1/3 of the wieght of the package.  what gives with this?

Honored Contributor

Re: any slese notice that the corn beef

Ham also has a lot of water added.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

cook's brand is the  worest for added water.

Honored Contributor

I paid the difference because I wanted corned beef.  I bought the smallest one I could find, so if we want to know what this one a year treat for me cost extra because of the water weight -  let's say I "wasted" $1.35!    

Seriously, if I were looking at something I buy every week, paying the extra would be likely to give me pause.  Today?  Nope.  I had a lovely dinner  and will expect another dinner as well as at least one yummy sandwich.  In my book, the worst part about paying $5.11 for all that isn't the money cost -  it's the cost to my head which keeps reminding me -  no more beef for the next few months!

Honored Contributor

So do I........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

We bought a piece a little better than 2lbs, nice piece in airtight package. It was one of the smaller pieces I could find, I think $11-$12 which seemed pricey.

DH prepped it in the crockpot with cut up carrots, onion, kraut, not sure of the spices. We had corned beef sandwiches on marbled rye - WOW was it GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Repeating tonight although I think I'll make mashed potatoes to go with. Can't wait to eat it again!