Super Contributor

Yucatecan Pickled Red Onions

This is a wonderful recipe with very strong flavors. I only had one cup of red wine vinegar so added water for the final 1/2 cup liquid. Still, the flavors were very strong, very pickled, and great on top of hamburgers or steaks. However, I think the recipe would not be greatly hurt by reducing the vinegar even another 1/4 cup. We use it like a relish, but also like a side dish even though it's strong.

Yucatecan Pickled Red Onions
Escabeche De Cebolla

Red onions soak up the flavors of oregano and cumin in this classic pickle relish, served with fresh seafood in Yucatán, Mexico. This recipe first appeared in our November 2011 issue along with Dana Bowen's story Roots of Flavor.

1 T kosher salt
1 large red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 t whole black peppercorns
1 t dried oregano
1 t cumin seeds
3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 1/2 c red wine vinegar

In a bowl, toss salt and onion together; let sit until onion releases some of its liquid, about 15 minutes. Transfer to jar along with peppercorns, oregano, cumin, and garlic, and pour over vinegar; seal with lid. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before using.

Saveur.com

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yucatecan Pickled Red Onions

Sounds delicious! Two of my favorite things - onion and vinegar. I may try other vinegars as well and maybe a vidalia.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

Re: Yucatecan Pickled Red Onions

I always keep my home made pickled onions on hand.. They are good on so many things!!! I generally add a touch of sugar to mine.. Maybe not a "" yucatan"" thing....