Trusted Contributor

I plan on making veggie lasagna for a family gathering,but I'd like to make it ahead of time.  Should I bake it,then refrigerate it?  Should I freeze it and then defrost and bake?  I think freezing,defrosting, and then baking might make the lasagna watery. Any hints appreciated.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Can you make it a day ahead and just refrigerate it.  Then just rewarm the next day.  It probably would be perfect.

Honored Contributor

I have frozen baked lasagna.  It was never watery from defrosting.  I have a Food Saver which seals air tight. 

Assuming if you freeze air tight in an air tight container, your lasagna should not be watery after defrosting.

Frozen water crystals from a non-air tight container makes foods watery when defrosting as far as I can tell.

HTH

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Make it one day,bake it the next and then reheat in a day or two

Honored Contributor

Re: Veggie lasagna question

[ Edited ]

I would go with hopi's suggestion of make day ahead, refrigerate and then bake next day...or bake when made and reheat.  I fix casseroles one day and bake next.  But, that said, I just saw a Pioneer Woman show this week where she made Veggie Lasagna Roll-Ups to freeze.  She covered the unbaked pans tightly with heavy foil and then freeze up to 4 months.  She gave instructions on baking frozen or thaw in refrigerator and then bake. 

Respected Contributor

I would freeze it unbaked,  or make it a day or two ahead and then bake it when needed.  

I would bake it frozen 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks,everyone.  I'm going with the make ahead and freeze per the Pioneer Woman's method.  It is her recipe and most of her stuff turns out well. Appreciated everyone's input!

Super Contributor

have made veg lasagna ahead many time. I make it cover it with plastic wrap and them foil. Freeze. Defrost it 2 days before you are baking it. Then bake .. it doesn't come out watery if well wrapped. To bake it twice will dry it out