Super Contributor

Does anyone remember eating salmon casserole? not salmon patties, but more of like a meatloaf, if so any recipes out there..I swear I remember eating this as a kid in the 60"S but my siblings dont remember a thing,all I remember was it had peas in it and it tasted good but looked like an orange meatloaf..just curious..maybe this is a memory from my "other Life"  ha

Trusted Contributor

Hi Marzi.   I also remember eating salmon loaf growing up.   After I got married I continued making it as my husband liked it.   I haven't made it now in many yearsbut will see if I can find my original recipe.

Valued Contributor

No parallel universes! My Mother used to make this with canned salmon, eggs, and milk, and she made a cream sauce with peas to pour over. We loved it, and had it often on Fridays.

Alas, I cook the way she did -- no recipes, just throw ingredients together. Never put onions in it because my father didn't care for them, but I've made it with some little green onions.

Esteemed Contributor

This from an Alaskan Salmon brochure

1 can 15 1/2 oz salmon

2 cups soft bread crumbs

1/3 cup finely minced onion

1/4 cup milk

2 eggs

2 Tab minched parsley

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon each salt and dill weed   - dash pepper

Drain salmon, reserving 2 Tablespoons liquid - flake salmon.  Combine all ingredients, place in well greased 8 1/2 x 4 baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees 45 minutes.  Makes 4 to 6 servings.

For Patties - same as above, shape into 8 one inch thick patties.  Pan fry on both sides in 2 Tablespoons oil or utter until golden brown.

Can add dill sauce over both.

Google may have other versions.

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone!! glad to know my mind isnt totally gone..ha  I am going to try the recipes this week

Respected Contributor

Simple Salmon Loaf:

1 can salmon

cut up onion

worchester sauce

egg

breadcrumbs

Combine all and form into a loaf.  The amount of each ingredient depends on your tastes. Enough breadcrumps to hold it togehter.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Whoa !!     I remember my mom making this ..... I'm going to have to try this, just for the heck of it.   Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

Back in the 50's, canned salmon was one of the cheapest protein sources.  We had salmon patties, salmon loaf and salmon soup which dad made like a chowder with a milk base.  It was good.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

For anybody with Mama Dips Cook Book, there is a great one in there!

Respected Contributor

Do a google search for SALMON LOAF RECIPE and you'll find lots of them.

Here's one:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/21503/salmon-loaf/

I thought surely I'd find one in my very old Betty Crocker cookbook, but no luck there.   Much better selection on the internet.