Valued Contributor

Rice Pudding Brûlée recipe

Rice Pudding Brûlée

(recipe source: bakedbree.com)

As of late I've been craving rice pudding. It's probably because of these frigid temperatures..lol
Something warm and comforting always fits the bill with me, especially in January. I made this early this morning when I woke up and it's sooooo good! Plus, the house smells intoxicating with the scents of vanilla and cinnamon. However, my favorite part is the brulee. There's just something about lightly cracking through that hard,glossy exterior to get to the creamy goodness underneath. I'm sold!

1 cup medium grain rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups water
1 cup whole milk
2 cups almond milk or coconut milk
1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
2/3 to 3/4 cup sugar (plus more for brûlée)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Bring 3 cups of water, milk, almond milk, vanilla bean, and sugar to a simmer in a saucepan. Spray the base of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add rice and salt. Stir simmering liquid into slow cooker. Cover and cook until rice is tender, about 2 hours on HIGH. Stir in raisins (if using), vanilla extract, and cinnamon. If the pudding is too loose, stir until the liquid is absorbed. If it is too thick, add a little hot water. Portion into sprayed ramekins. Sprinkle sugar over pudding in a thin layer. Use a kitchen torch to brûlée the tops of the pudding.

Respected Contributor

Lola, this sounds wonderful! I'm going to make it today. I have all the ingredients. It's -27 degrees here in No. Wisconsin and only 60 degrees in the house. What a wonderful treat to have on a freezing cold day! Thanks for posting this recipe. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

W O W! {#emotions_dlg.tt1} I think I need to make this, LoLa! I thank you....my hips thank you. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Regular Contributor

Oooh, right up my alley. Thanks for posting. Almond milk on my grocery list for tomorrow. I really need to stop reading this board, so many good recipes to try and EAT!

Respected Contributor

LoLA, I made it this afternoon. Oh, yum! I ate it warm because it was so cold in the house, and making it helped warm up the house. I highly recommend it.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Trusted Contributor

I have been thinking about making rice pudding the last few days but have been too lazy to look for a recipe. this sounds perfect for the cold weather we have been experiencing. I have never made rice pudding in a slow cooker. Does it come out nice and creamy? The recipes that I have previously made have all been baked in the oven and I was rather disappointed in the consistency of the pudding so I'm hoping this one will be smooth and creamy. Has anyone made rice pudding in a slow cooker? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

At any rate I will try this recipe, hopefully, tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

I know that to some this might sound like a stupid question, but do you have to torch the top? I would never even attempt to do that.

Regular Contributor

If I wasn't going to torch the top, I just wouldn't put the sugar on it. I really love the crispy little top and I have a kitchen torch so I will be doing it, but I'm sure it will taste mighty good without it.

Valued Contributor

LoLa ~ My Son in Law will just love you for this! Thank you so much.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Valued Contributor

Hi Brinklii! YaY! That's so awesome! I'm happy that you made it and it turned out well for you. It's really tasty! Stay warm out there. You've got some bitter temps for sure.

Hi rondell! Aw, c'mon... you're hips won't tell on you, I promise! lol

Hi shanara! Please let me know how it comes out for you. I love using almond milk in this recipe. I've tweaked it from just using regular milk and I'm happy I did!

Hi golden! This one is super creamy. It's really delicious too. I know what you mean about the baked ones, they do tend to dry out quite a bit.

Hi Retired! You don't have to use a small kitchen torch if you don't want to. You can easily just sprinkle with sugar and put in the broiler for a few seconds (just watch them carefully). Or, just leave out that step altogether and it will still be great.

Hi Cookie! Aw, I really hope that he loves this. I'm making it again on Saturday!

Happy Wednesday,
LoLa