Respected Contributor

QUESTION ABOUT STROMBOLI PREPARATION....

Hi everyone,  happy, healthy 2019!!

I'm having a gathering here, this Sunday for my youngest daughter....gender reveal👶.   One food on my menu will be Stromboli.   I've made this before, but, I'm wondering if it would be ok to assemble the day before.   I use pizza dough, then layers of genoa salami,  pepperoni,  sharp provolone and fresh mozzarella, little marinara sauce inside.

I'm hoping to put this together,  roll it up, and refrigerate day before. 

I dont see why I couldn't prep it a day before...but please give me a heads up on this.  I would bake it day of party...you think ok??

Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT STROMBOLI PREPARATION....

@Dazlin

I ❤️❤️❤️ Stromboli.  My favorite "winter" food.  Please email me a slice.  Thanks in advance!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@Dazlin

I have never made a stromboli or homemade pizza for that matter. I would think if you make a pizza ahead of time, it would be ok to make the stromboli ahead of time. But, like I said, I have never made either. (I live by myself, so these would be a lot of food just for me).

Hope whatever you do, it works well for you!

cookin

Honored Contributor

I make mine a day ahead of time:

1 lb prepared pizza dough

4 oz thin-sliced pepperoni

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella

1/2 cup grated Parmesan

1 lightly-beaten egg

1 tsp sesame seeds

Roll dough into 1/4" thick 10X12" rectangle on floured countertop.  Arrange pepperoni and mozzarella on dough, leaving 1" border on edges.  Top with Parmesan.

Brush edges of dough with water.  Roll long side of dough tightly into a long tube, then press the edges to seal.  Brush a baking sheet with olive oil and place dough on it seam side down.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Remove plastic, brush top with egg, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Spray piece of foil with nonstick oil spray and lay it lightly over dough.  Bake in 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.  Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.  

Occasional Contributor

My husband makes the stromboli in our house. He sometimes will prepare it the day before. He just wraps it tightly in plastic wrap. Then the next day he takes it out of the refrigerator, takes the plastic wrap off and let's it sit/rest for about an hour before he puts it in the oven. It tastes just the same as when he makes it the same day. The only thing is that he doesn’t make his with any sauce inside. I'm sure it will come out just fine. Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!!..sounds good to me...a day before 🙂