[ Edited ]

Vegetable or Canola Oil Spray

2-3 lbs.   Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

2 cups    Shredded Mozarella Cheese

1 cup      Diced Tomatoes

PESTO:

2 packed cups     Fresh Basil Leaves

1/2 cup                 Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3 T                        Pine Nuts or shelled Sunflower Seeds dry      toasted in a skillet over medium heat until lightly browned.

1 small                  Garlic Clove

1/4 t.                      Kosher Salt

1/4 t.                      Black Pepper

1/2 cup                  Grated Permesan Cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a sheet pan with vegetable or canola oil.

2  Place all of the pesto inredients into a food processor or blender and pulse on high until almost pureed.

3.  Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer on the sheet pan and spread each piece with a generous amount of pesto on top.

4.  Bake for abou 30 minutes, until the chiken is completely cooked and meat thermometer stuck in the thickest piece reads 165 F.

5.  Remove cooked chicken, top each with mozzarella, and return to the oven for 5 additional minutes, or until cheese is melted.

6.  Remove chicken a final time and sprinkle each piece with diced tomatoes before serving garnished with fresh basil, if desired.

Serves 6

Calories:  490

Fat:  31 gms.

Protein:  47 gms.

Carbs:  5 gms.

Fiber:  0 

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Pesto Chicken Parmesan LOW CARB

This sounds delicious! I'll probably cheat and use the pesto sauce from Costco but I'm going to try the recipe. Thanks for posting it!

Honored Contributor

@Gokat****Question please.  If the chicken were baked brushed with olive oil for 30 minutes then the pesto and tomatoes added, that would ensure cooked chicken, but would the tomatoes and pesto cook enough?  

Many thanks!  Can't wait!

Respected Contributor

Of course, you can prepare the recipe according to your own method, @ECBG .   Woman Happy

In my experience, the pesto serves to flavor the chicken while cooking, as well as help to maintain moisture as well.  I've prepared this recipe several times according to the instructions and never had a problem with the chicken being underdone.  The use of the recommended thermometer will insure the chicken is cooked, if you have concerns.  The diced tomatoes are not cooked but are added after melting the cheese.  HTH's

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gokat I did a little variation on this with some leftover chicken and it was delicious! You have expanded my pesto cooking horizons!

Hubby and I scarfed it up.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Such a pesto hound here @sandraskates,  so totally familiar with scarfing!!  Woman LOL Glad you and Hubs enjoyed it!  Woman Wink