Valued Contributor

Re: Need to jazz up tuna casserole

@Kachina624 ; I'm going to try that next time! 

DH likes my tuna noodle casserole better than his mother's (which says a lot, as she was known as the "casserole queen" of their town).

6 oz wide eggs noodles

1-2 T butter

1 thinly sliced onion

garlic minced (optional and use desired amount)

About 3T flour

About 2 c chicken broth

1 cup milk 

a few T sherry

1 - 1.5 c sliced portobello mushrooms

1 cup thawed frozen peas

2 (5oz) cans tuna; drained

1 cup sharp cheddar (can use less, or different variety)

fresh thyme

bay leaf

1/4 cup bread crumbs, potato chips, ritz crackers (whichever is preferred and handy). I typically use Panko crumbs.

optional:

celery

carrots

parmasean

paprika

nutmeg

1-boil noodles, set aside (I like to put a tad bit of olive oil on them to prevent sticking). Preheat oven to 375.

Lightly spray 9x12 baking dish

2-melt butter. Add onions (and celery and carrots, if using). Sauté for about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic (if desired) and sautée for another minute.

3- Add flour, pinch of salt and stir for a few minutes on med-low

4-add broth, bay leaf (if using). Wisk on medium heat until combined. Add the milk and bring to boil. While boiling, add sherry, mushrooms, peas, thyme (if using and amount to your liking), a few dashes of nutmeg (if using), salt and pepper (to your liking). Simmer for about 5 minutes (or until thickens). Adjust seasonings as desired. 
5-add drained tuna and stir until mixed in (should be ,ess than a minute).

6-remove from heat and add cheese. This calls for a bit, so starting with a lesser amount  and adding until it's to your liking). Add noodles and stir until all is mixed. 
7- pour into prepared dish and top with additional cheddar and/or parmasean (if desired). Top with breadcrumbs and sprinkle with paprika (if desired).

8-bake for 20-25 minutes. If you desire a more golden top, broil for a minute at end. 

*all measurements are approximate and easily adapted. 

Disclaimer: ive never eaten this (vegetarian). But the family really likes it and they'd tell me otherwise! 

Honored Contributor

@Mellyg. Yours is truly gourmet tuna casserole.  Mine is the "throw together at last minute" variety.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mellyg. Yours is truly gourmet tuna casserole.  Mine is the "throw together at last minute" variety.

Make no mistake @Kachina624 ; this is adaptable. It can be the "I have time on my hands to cook today" casserole. Or can be adapted to  the "I don't feel like cooking and I'm going to throw all this together" variety!

I have found that it does freeze well, so I can get a few extra dinner servings out of it!  

Honored Contributor

Great thread topic @depglass  - thank you and also to the contributions from others! Adding this to my recipe file

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  I was going to say Pimento!  But the stuffed green olives sound even better!

Esteemed Contributor

I add peas,bacon, & a little wine to mine. I top with crushed potato chips & sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar on top. It's always a hit .

Honored Contributor

The one we made in college was tuna, mushroom soup, a  little sherry (maybe water?  can'tremember!) and a big handful of Ruffles potato chips.  Not crushed, just mixed in.

Of course, me, I could eat dirt if it had Ruffles in it.   I cannot even be near Ruffles.  Maybe on Christmas with French Onion dip--the smooth beige one.   Heaven!  

Esteemed Contributor

I always mix some dry onion soup mix to the cream of mushroom soup - about 3 tablespoons. Some may not like that because of the salt, but it does give the soup more flavor. Also, I add diced celery, onion and frozen peas (thawed). A friend of mine adds a couple of tablespoons of dry Ranch dressing/seasoning to the mushroom soup and said it's very tasty. A little worcestershire and/or hot sauce is good as well.

For a topping, I always crush about 3/4 of a sleeve of Ritz crackers and then mix in about 3 tablespoons of melted butter and spread that on top.

Respected Contributor

We add mushrooms and a can of peas and carrots.  How about adding green olives or pimintos.  We  usually use Cheesy Tuna Helper.  It is very tasty.  

Trusted Contributor

Here's how I make my tuna noodles and my family loves it.

No real recipe with exact measurements.  I just use estimates.

--Boil a little more than a cup of dry ziti noodles along with a handful of fresh or frozen broccoli florets.  I put a cube of chicken bouillon in the water to flavor the noodles. boil about 10 minutes, then drain.

--saute a small onion in some olive oil until translucent and add a clove of minced garlic, pinch of salt and pepper.

--when onions are done, add can of drained sliced mushrooms, can of cream of mushroom soup. 2 cans of drained tuna (i use the packed in water kind)

--add the cooked drained noodles/brocolli and about one-fourth cup of grated parmesan cheese.  mix well.

pour into 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish and cover with grated 3 cheese Mexican blend.

bake at 375 until cheese is melted and turns that nice golden brown color...usually 20 min or so.  just keep on eye on it.  

--