Honored Contributor

With the holidays approaching, I thought I would post this recipe I have used that works out well. I follow the recipe and refrigerate the potatoes overnight. However, on a busy holiday with everything going on the stove/oven....I use my crock pot to cook these...works great and my oven is free for something else.......like Mr. Turkey. Holidays are a time when I miss having two ovens.

Make Ahead Potatoes

10 large potatoes, peeled and quartered

1 cup sour cream

1 8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese, softened

6 Tablespoons butter or margarine, divided

2 Tablespoons dried minced onion

1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt

paprika

Place potatoes in a Dutch oven or large kettle; cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and place in a bowl; mash. Add sour cream, cream cheese, 4 Tablespoons butter, onion and salt; stir until smooth and the cream cheese and butter are melted. Spread in a greased 13 x 9" baking dish*. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Refrigerate or bake immediately, covered, at 350 for 40 minutes; uncover and bake 20 minutes longer. If potatoes are made ahead and refrigerated, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking. 12 servings.

* I put mine in a covered bowl and refrigerate overnight. The next day I put them in my crock pot and cook on low for 4 hours or longer ( or high for one hour and less on low depending on how much time you have....check occasionally to see if they are getting warm enough to judge how much cook time you need as coming out of a cold refrigerator may require more cook time). Put 2 Tablespoons of melted butter and a little paprika on top.