Super Contributor

Re: Kenyan-Style Kale and Tomatoes

That sounds yummy, LoLa! Thanks. I also love ratatouille over polenta!

Valued Contributor

Hi Sabatini! You're very welcome. I do too!!

Super Contributor

LoLa, this looks good! Question: with all the tomato juice plus added water, doesn't it end up soupy? Thanks.
Valued Contributor

Hiya Kay! Good question. Surprisingly, the water evaporates quickly as the greens get tender. I didn't experience any soupy(ness) but just to be sure, you could always add a little water at a time as you see fit. :-)

Super Contributor

Sounds good to me, LoLa. Thanks. I think adding a little at a time would work well, and it would allow me to cook the kale until barely tender but still bright green. I like it less when it gets darker green as it cooks.

Now if there are just some ripe, wonderful tomatoes left when the new crop of kale ripens toward fall...

My current way to make greens is to chop up one (or even a half) slice of bacon or pancette, cook it most of the way to render the fat, sauté some garlic and scallions in the fat, then remove most of the fat and add chopped kale. I just stir and turn them with tongs until they wilt, then add a slosh of water and cover for a few minutes to let them steam. This dish is very fast, and really, with a hint of the bacon in it, how can it fail to please?

I can eat huge helpings of this when I make it, sometimes topping with a fried egg or two if I want the protein.

Valued Contributor

Hi Kay! Ooooo bacon!! That sounds wonderful. Let me know next time you make it and I'll be right over!