Esteemed Contributor

....I could bake!  I try, I really try, but it's always somethingWoman Frustrated that goes wrong.

Today I went to make a no-bake cheesecake, thinking this sounds easy, I can do it.  NO.  As usual, it was an painstaking effort and bet it won't even beedible.Woman Sad

I had everything measured out and nearby- well, almost everything:  I had forgotten I had given away the vanilla and never replaced it.  (Hopefully no problem, I used almond.)

Then I washed and dried the mixer bowl before using 'cause it's always out on the counter.  That done and ready to go, I searched and searched for the mixer attachments - to no avail.  Could only come up with the whisk attachment so I went with that.

Filled the store-bought walnut pie crust then had to scurry for some small containers 'to squeeze into the freezer 'cause there  was tons of extra filling.

I'm tiredWoman Frustrated and wondering why do I even try; others make it seem so easy - not to mention tasty - and me, well I wonder, will ever be able to make a tasty pastry!

Thanks, just had to vent.....

Esteemed Contributor

P.S.  Forgot to add - I forgot go add the 2cups of ice cold milk - still sitting on the counter - duhWoman Frustrated.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  Don't feel bad.  Once my SO made homemade chicken soup from scratch.  He forgot to add the chicken.  Not only that, the chicken was still in the freezer frozen solid like a rock. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Was this a box no bake or an online recipe? I've found many online recipes to be disastrous so I proceed with caution. With experience you can tell which to steer clear of.

You made it but left out the milk and still got too much batter? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just Wishing....

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme  I bet I can make you feel better. Here is a blueberry pie I was testing out to do for Easter. 

Flamin' Blueberry Pie.jpg

Needless to say, I didn't use this recipe. Smiley LOL

ETA: I am a fair cook, but when it comes to baking, I'm not so great. I'm trying to fix it or accept it. 

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme I learned to bake as a young teen watching my mom and looking through cook books.

The most important thing is to have all utensils and ingredients laid out and ready. That sounds like a huge part of the problem with the recipe you posted.

Planing ahead next time may make it easier.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme ..Maybe you have a lot of other things on your mind - that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it !  Your adventure hits home with me, I should have built my house without a kitchen in it !!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@eddyandme  Don't feel bad.  Once my SO made homemade chicken soup from scratch.  He forgot to add the chicken.  Not only that, the chicken was still in the freezer frozen solid like a rock. Smiley LOL

Oh!  thank you, @Mz iMac .  I can relate!Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Was this a box no bake or an online recipe? I've found many online recipes to be disastrous so I proceed with caution. With experience you can tell which to steer clear of.

You made it but left out the milk and still got too much batter? 

It was an online recipe @Snowpuppy .  But I changed the flavor of pudding from lemon (could not find) to banana.  Yeah, without the two cups of milk and much less sugar, still had too much filling:  filled four tupperware pudding cups.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme 

Sounds like a living script for an I Love Lucy show !

Best advice I could give you:  if you have a friend who is a good ( not necessarily great ) baker, ask if they could come over and watch / suggest how to improve what you are doing.

Sometimes another pair of experienced eyes can save you a lot of trouble !  See if they would also let you watch / help out next time they're going to bake.

Too, you may want to watch America's Test Kitchen for the basics on simple things, e.g., cookies, cake with frosting, pies, etc.

I watched my mother bake and cook as a youngster.  When she had to go to work ( early age hysterectomy ) for her sanity's sake, I was the one to make dinner and have it ready for 5:30.  I was 9 years old.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill