Esteemed Contributor

Hunt for recipe for CHICEN AND RICE casserole

My grandmother never used a recipe.  She came from Eastern Europe to this country.  She was a marvelous cook... I used to watch her and she just never really knew the exact measurement of anything.  And her English was broken and I was young. My mother picked up on some of her recipes and one of them in particular was a casserole that she called CHICKEN AND RICE. 

Anyone have any old world recipes... coming out of Russia or Poland that might give me a hint on what to do.  I am not a cook, no talent to speak of but I yearn to taste this dish and cannot find anything even close anywhere. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hunt for recipe for CHICEN AND RICE casserole

Check out this site.  It is too big to copy and paste, large print with pictures.

http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/main-course/plov/

Just a chance that this is it but this looks delicious!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu, This recipe is also called No Peeky Chicken or Forgotten Chicken & is a staple with my family.  I also add sliced mushrooms for added goodness.  I also bake at 300 degrees covered with foil & no peeking...!  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hunt for recipe for CHICKEN AND RICE casserole

Thanks and for the record I can spell CHICKEN. 

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Check out this site.  It is too big to copy and paste, large print with pictures.

http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/main-course/plov/

Just a chance that this is it but this looks delicious!

@bonnielu I too highly recommend this site that @Zhills has posted as my grandparents are from Czechoslavia but I have found many recipes that are very close to what my mom and grandmother used to make.  This recipe reminds me of when my mom would make my favorite chicken and rice dish (I would always ask for that for my birthday meal!).  My mom would poach chicken parts along with carrots, celery, onion and probably other spices.  Before the chicken was completely cooked through, she would pick out the celery and carrots, add the rice to the chicken and the liquid along with the now chopped and cooked carrots.  So delicious!

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu, do you think this might be it, or at least close?

Ukrainian Chicken Plov - Natasha's Kitchen

Ukrainian Chicken Plov (Rice Pilaf) - Плов

Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Skill Level: Easy
Cost To Make: $4-$5
Serving: 6
Ingredients
  • 1 large chicken breast, cut into ½-inch x 1-inch pieces
  • 2 cups white rice, rinsed well and drained
  • 1 large carrot, grated
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • ¼ cup ketchup
  • 2½ cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • ⅛ tsp Cayenne pepper
Instructions
  1. Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add chicken pieces, saute them until golden and cooked through.
  2. Next, add 1 diced onion to the skillet with chicken and saute about 3 minutes.
  3. Add grated carrots to the skillet and saute 2 more minutes.
  4. Add 2 Tbsp of butter and ¼ cup ketchup and mix everything together.
  5. Once the butter melts, add 2 cups of rinsed rice to the skillet. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt, ⅛ tsp of black pepper, ⅛ tsp of Cayenne pepper and mix everything together.
  6. Transfer mixture to the rice cooker, add 2½ cups of water and season more to taste if desired. Set the rice cooker to "White rice". - OR - If you don't have a rice cooker, you can put everything into a pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook over medium/low heat for about 20 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
NotesIf you don't rinse your rice, you will require more water. Left over plov is always a good thing; just saute it up. I think its even better reheated in a frying pan. It gives it a certain crunch. I recommend to use Jasmine rice.

Copyright © 2015 Natasha's Kitchen
Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

I learned to make this soup from my Polish mother-in-law.  She had no recipe.  It's a simple combo of meaty pork ribs on the bone simmered in broth, I use chicken and beef broth, seasoned with celery and onion, add in dry white beans and sauerkraut.  I pull the meat off the bones before adding the beans and kraut. 

I cooked the beans separately for awhile before finishing them off in the broth because I didn't want all the broth to go into the beans.  I didn't really question her for details, just watched from a distance and copied her as best I could.

Another soup I learned from a Russian exposition restaurant at a World's Fair:

"Russian Olive Soup".

To mimic it I used a can of Campbell's French Onion soup (I know.  LOL) diluted with water and partly with tomato juice.  Add halved black olives.  Add a dollop of sour cream if you like.  So simple and deicious.