Honored Contributor

MAY 2017 RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

[ Edited ]

Image result for Memorial Day Treats

Good morning friends, welcome to the first day of May! . . . Smiley Happy

.HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the April thread and we can take it from there if that's ok with every body (thanks to @GenXmuse!):.

KOOL-AID PIE

Ingredients
1 (0.13 ounce) package unsweetened fruit-flavored drink mix (such as Kool-Aid(R))
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust

Directions
Whisk fruit-flavored drink mix with sweetened condensed milk in a bowl until thoroughly combined and thick. Gently fold whipped topping into mixture until light and fluffy. Spread filling into pie crust and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

Next Ingredient: LEMON PEPPER

Honored Contributor

Re: MAY 2017 RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

I found this recipe here awhile ago and am sorry I cannot give credit to someone.....did not make note of it but THANK YOU!   It is a great recipe!  Easy and very good!  I adjust for two chops (two of us) so make it your own.  Also, to prevent any leakage I put mine in a Pyrex dish or on baking sheet.

Pork Chops in Foil

4 pork chops

1 tablespoon LEMON PEPPER

8 tablespoons butter 

8 tablespoons of olive oil

4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Tear off a generous square of aluminum foil, enough to wrap and seal one chop completely.  Coat both sides of each chop with LEMON PEPPER. Put 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in middle of each square of foil.  Put the peppered chops on top of the butter and oil.  Put 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil on top of each chop.*  Add 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce over the top of each chop. Wrap each chop tightly and place on middle rack of the oven.  Bake for 35 minutes.

* sometimes I only do this on one side of chop

NEXT INGREDIENT .... CAKE FLOUR

Honored Contributor

Sour Cream Coffee Cake W CAKE FLOUR

Total Time: 1 hr 40 min    Prep: 10 min     Cook: 1 hr      Yield:   8 to 10 servings

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sour cream
2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

For the streusel:
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional

For the glaze:
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
Add Checked Items To Grocery List

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.

Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.

For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble. Mix in the walnuts, if desired.

Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate. Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to make the glaze runny. Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon.

NEXT INGREDIENT:

GRUYERE CHEESE

Honored Contributor

Thank you for asking about my daughter @ bluffbaker. She went back to school today though she was worried that her cheeks were too swollen.  (They weren't, but doesn't matter what mom thinks lol). Lowes called and now stove won't be here until Thursday so no stove over weekend.  Oh well, it will make me appreciate it even more!

EASY FRENCH ONION SOUP RECIPE

Serves: 2-3 (I double it to make 4-6 plus I use big ramekins!

INGREDIENTS

1 very large onion, about 1½ pounds, halved thinly sliced
5 tablespoons butter
½ teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
3½ cups broth (chicken or beef)
6 slices white baguette
1½ cup Gruyere cheese, grated

INSTRUCTIONS

Melt butter in a large Dutch oven. Add onions, reduce the heat to medium low and cook stirring constantly until tender and caramelised. Don't let the onions stick to the bottom of the pot. They should be rich brown colour with distinctive smell. It will take about 50 minutes. Whisk in flour and simmer stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes.

Stir in sugar, salt, pepper and thyme.

Add broth and simmer with a lid on for 25 minutes.

Preheat the broiler.

Ladle soup between 3 ramekins and top with a few slices of baguette. Generously sprinkle with Gruyere cheese.

Place the ramekins into a rimmed baking sheet and broil for a few minutes until cheese melts and starts to brown.

Serve immediately!
Enjoy!

I got this off the food blog lavender and macarons. It's the inky one I regularly read. 

IMG_3594.JPG

Next Ingredient: RADISHES

Valued Contributor

A good radish, some nice unsalted butter and sea salt... So simple but so satisfying😀

BUTTER DIPPED RADISHES
Ingredients:
1 stick of unsalted, good quality butter
3 bunches of (very fresh) assorted radishes
fleur de sel or Maldon Sea Salt

Directions:
Rinse the radishes thoroughly with cold water, removing all dirt and sand. Trim the roots and some of the stalks. Dry and keep in the refrigerator until ready to dip.
In a small bowl, microwave the stick of butter for about 25-30 seconds – or until the butter is barely half melted.
Remove from microwave and whisk until the consistency is smooth and thick and the color is pale.
Dip the radishes into the tempered butter and place onto a baking sheet with wax paper or a Silpat.
Let the radishes set, on the baking sheet, in the refrigerator until ready to eat. (They taste best when they are cold.) 
Serve with fleur de sel or flake sea salt for dipping.

8A22E0A8-91E1-4142-B16B-0D4F9178D9FA-266-0000003A2EEDDD5B.jpeg

Next ingredient:  pork ribs

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bonanzajellybean.....ingredients (amount) for soup recipe were not clear (cut off)......sounds good and my SIL loves French Onion Soup....thought I would fix for him sometime.  Could you repeat?

Thanks.

CANCEL this request!  Just went back and it is corrected...maybe my problem here.  OK....moving on........

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... PORK RIBS

Honored Contributor

Stove Top Hawaiian RIBS*

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup vinegar

1 cup soy sauce

8 cloves garlic, chopped

6 green onions, chopped

1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple

3 slabs PORK RIBS, sliced into individual ribs 

Combine brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, green onions and pineapple.  Place RIBS in Dutch oven or large covered skillet. Pour mixture over RIBS; bring to a boil.  Turn heat down, cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

* Best of the Best QVC Family Cookbook

NEXT INGREDIENT .... SALSA

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sante Fe Chicken in Crock Pot

2 boneless chicken breasts

2 cans black beans rinsed and drained

1 can corn drained ( I have used Pinto beans rinsed and drained)

1 packet Fajita mix (I use McCormick)

1 bottle of SALSA ( I use Chi Chi's mild original)

I also add 1/4 cup black bean salsa for a little heat

Shredded cheese Mexican blend or Cheddar 

Put chicken in the crockpot, mix up the rest of the ingredients (except cheese) in a bowl and pour over chicken cover and cook on low 8 hours. Serve with the cheese sprinkled on top. 

With the leftovers (there is only 2 of us) I buy a can of red enchilada sauce and tortillas and roll them with the leftovers and pour the red sauce on top sprinkle cheese and bake! Awesome! 

Next ingredient CHILI POWDER 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
@GenXmuse, glad your daughter is doing better.  Hope you've received your new stove by now.  After not having one for a few days, I bet you were glad to see it delivered!

Cheese Ball

1 lb. cream cheese, softened
1 lb. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
dash of cayenne pepper
1 cup chopped pecans
chili powder

Bring the first two ingredients to room temperature.  Combine all ingredients, except chili powder, and mix well.  Shape and refrigerate overnight or for a couple of days.  When ready to serve, coat the mixture thoroughly with chili powder.

Next Ingredient:  Lima beans
Honored Contributor

@Bluffbaker Lowe's couldn't deliver today so again, we had to reschedule. At least the stove top works and I've got a crock pot. 😊 And a husband who'll run out for takeout!

Baked Lima Beans with Spinach and Feta

This Greek-inspired dish makes a hearty one-dish meal, and it’s a great way to include nutrient-dense spinach in your diet. If you use baby spinach, the preparation will go quickly as the beans simmer.

1/2 pound large limas, cooked ( can use frozen or canned too) 

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 pounds spinach, stemmed and cleaned thoroughly; or 1 pound baby spinach, rinsed

1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

1 tablespoon snipped chives

2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup) (also good with mozzarella)

1. Cook the beans according to the directions. Remove from the heat, and drain through a colander set over a bowl. Transfer to a lightly oiled baking dish (1 1/2 to 2-quart), and add 1 scant cup of the broth.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat a large skillet over high heat, and wilt the spinach, in batches, in the water left on the leaves after washing. Remove to a colander, rinse briefly with cold water, then squeeze out excess water and chop coarsely.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat in the skillet, and add the garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute. Add the spinach, dill and chives, and stir together just until the ingredients are combined, less than a minute. Remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. Spread the spinach in an even layer over the beans. Sprinkle the feta over the spinach, and drizzle on the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Bake 30 minutes until sizzling. Serve hot or warm.

IMG_3631.JPG

Next Ingredient: DILL