Valued Contributor

How do you like YOUR cranberries?

Cranberries come in many forms – jellied, whole berry, fresh. My family likes the jellied ones and takes great pride in getting the cranberry “loaf” out of the can intact and serving it can shaped! I know many make fun of that but it is our tradition and we laugh about it every year. I have also served whole berry cranberry sauce and made fresh ones with orange and ginger. I was thinking about uses for leftover cranberries this morning and that got me to wondering. How do you all like your cranberries??

Here is one suggestion for leftover cranberries:

Cranberry Crunch

Mix together:

1 c. uncooked rolled oats

½ c. flour

1 c. brown sugar

Cut in until mixture is crumbly:

½ c. butter

Place half this mixture in an 8” greased pan. Cover with 1 can of cranberries (jellied or whole). Spread remaining oatmeal mixture over cranberries.

Bake 45 minutes at 350. Cut into squares. Can serve with vanilla ice cream.

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you like YOUR cranberries?

Whole berry cranberry with chopped apples, manderine oranges and pecans.  If there is any ever left over it makes a good "spead" on turkey sandwiches. Smiley Happy 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Ground up with an apple and an orange with some sugar to sweeten them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mom is 84 and still makes what we call cranberry ice for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It's made  from scratch, fresh cranberries and takes 3 days to make.  It's a lot like a sorbet.  It's absolutely delicious.  

Honored Contributor

Cranberry-Grape Compote

Cranberry-Grape Compote

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 package (12 ounces) cranberries, fresh or frozen (no need to thaw)
  • 3 cups seedless red grapes
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a large saucepan over medium-high, bring cranberries, grapes, sugar, and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until most of the cranberries have popped and grapes are falling apart, 10 to 15 minutes.

2. Remove from heat; add salt and stir to combine. Let cool to room temperature (compote will thicken as it cools). Serve at room temperature.

COOK'S NOTES
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.
Honored Contributor

I prefer mine whole but like your tradition of the "cranberry loaf" you have...start your meal with a smile, eh?  For holidays,  I make an old family recipe with whole cranberries with brandy in it....and a lot of sugar..ha!

Honored Contributor

on somebody else's plate.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I made fresh cranberry sauce last week to go with a roasted chicken.  I like mine pretty ordinary - water, sugar, berries, and a few slices of apple or a few chinks of a sweet orange.

I buy bags of berries for my freezer while they're in the stores and there's always sauce in my refrig until late spring. 

Honored Contributor

My family loves everything cranberry.   We also like our whole berry cranberry sauce heated; nothing added to it, just heated.   

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

on somebody else's plate.............

Me too