Honored Contributor

Help please for NSA or low sodium beef broth without

[ Edited ]

Without mushrooms or yeast.

NSA= No salt added

Thank you 

Valued Contributor

Re: Help please for NSA or low sodium beef broth without

I bought Progresso "cooking stock" unsalted.  It became harder to find and last week I found Swanson "cooking stock" unsalted.  I bought both in chicken flavor since we don't use beef stock or eat beef at all.  They probably have it in beef flavor too.

Valued Contributor

I just googled and they also have Kitchen Basics brand unsalted.  Swanson is supposedly at Walmart and Target.

Honored Contributor

Buy a few beef shin bones with a little meat on them at the grocery, put them in a large pot of cold water with some celery and onions and spices...simmer a few hours. Strain.

You will have enough for now and some left to freeze.

So easy to make and much better than processed stock.

Honored Contributor

I try to cut sodium anywhere I can and I use Swanson too with NSA. I often find coupons on coupons.com for it. I’m actually getting some tonight!

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

If you mean no yeast as in No MSG good luck with that.

Kitchen Basics says theirs does not have MSG in it. The first 2 ingredients are chicken stock & vegetable stock. It does not list the ingredients used for that? Theirs do have mushrooms plus salt though.

There are so many names they use instead of MSG to hide that fact so you won't know if it's in there or not. You would have to carry a list with you.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@butterfly123

If you mean no yeast as in No MSG good luck with that.

Kitchen Basics says theirs does not have MSG in it. The first 2 ingredients are chicken stock & vegetable stock. It does not list the ingredients used for that? Theirs do have mushrooms plus salt though.

There are so many names they use instead of MSG to hide that fact so you won't know if it's in there or not. You would have to carry a list with you.

@Nightowlz

No yeast, no MSG and no mushrooms. I looked at the suggestions for boxed broth and all contain one or many of the ingredients I would avoid. The suggestion of making my own would be best. Other boxed broths don’t contain these ingredients but the beef does. I don’t know why though. 

Honored Contributor

I see a hematologist for anemia for which I receive iron infusions, B12 shots and for osteoporosis for which I have received Reclast and now get the large doses of vitamin D3 (50,000 for 12 weeks and have been on that for more than a year). 

She told me I would be better doing what she does for my bones and anemia: going to the market, buying marrow bones and boiling to make broth and soup. 

She said you get more nutrition from the second boiling.  How inexpensive is that.  You can make your own broth from bones and broth is so expensive now that it is much cheaper and safer for your health to make your own.  I do that and make root soup with greens like kale, turnips, mustard, sweet potatoes, onions, and all kinds of roots.  I like the turnip roots cooked with the greens, gives it a very pleasant spicy taste.

I have been doing this quite often and in addition, eating liver, so I am hoping for a good report in January.  I wish you all Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy new year.