Honored Contributor

Re: Help for bland mac and cheese

I don't make a "pot" of mac and cheese.

I taught Foods and Advanced Foods.   I got this recipe we find quite yummy.

Oh! My! Mac and Cheese

(Named by our little grandson!)

Doubled, it will fit a 9 x 13.  One recipe does a

9 x 9.

Reheats like a dream!  I loved it so, I took it home in a baggie!!!

4 C hot small macaroni noodles (8 oz uncooked)

2 C (8 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 C cottage cheese

3/4 C sour cream

1/2 C milk 

2 Tbsp grated fresh onion

1  1/2 tsp butter, melted

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Cooking Spray

Topping

1/4 C dry bread crumbs

1 Tbsp butter, melted

1/2 tsp paprika (optional for extra flavor)

2 C shredded sharp cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine first 10 ingredients, stir well.

Pour into sprayed casserole.

Spread 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese over top of casserole.

Mix butter, breadcrumbs, and paprika

Spread on top of casserole

Cover with foil.

Bake 350 for 45 minutes.

Uncover and bake 10 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned.

Six one cup servings

Don't over cook causing the dish to dry out and ruin the flavor!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm trying your recipe @ECBG because it's grandson approved!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would definitely use a few different types of cheese including an Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese.  I've also used a block of Philly Cream Cheese. I also add a little dry mustard to mine.  I've never tried Paprika or Smoked Paprika but that sounds good too.

Also, I'm assuming this is baked and not a stovetop version.  Personally, I'm not fond of any (including homemade) versions that are stovetop.  I think you get much more flavor from baking it especially with the crusty side edges and top.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I would definitely use a few different types of cheese including an Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese.  I've also used a block of Philly Cream Cheese. I also add a little dry mustard to mine.  I've never tried Paprika or Smoked Paprika but that sounds good too.

Also, I'm assuming this is baked and not a stovetop version.  Personally, I'm not fond of any (including homemade) versions that are stovetop.  I think you get much more flavor from baking it especially with the crusty side edges and top.

@shoptilyadropagain 

If you are referring to my recipe, be sure not to over brown; resulting in drying out, which robs you of flavor.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain 

If you are referring to my recipe, be sure not to over brown; resulting in drying out, which robs you of flavor.

I was actually referring to the OP who stated hers was bland.  I've had (and make) baked M&C that is pretty brown and crusty but still moist and creamy on the inside.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

not sure if anyone suggested a bit of cayenne....  also a little gruyere if you have any adds some nuttiness.  I've always used about 3 different cheeses.   Ina Garten has a good recipe. She uses A LOT of gruyere,  which is way too expensive.  I cut back on that and add more of the cheddar.  I also add some parmesan.  Several different cheeses make for a delicious M&C. 

I hope you find your solution...   I'm sure there are many.

Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff   My mom always made her mac and cheese with fresh tomato slices and breadcrumbs or, sometimes, little bread cubes.  The whole family loved it!  I still like my mac and cheese this way.