Respected Contributor

Guilt-free hot chocolate: have a cup or two!

I need lots of fiber and I discovered this next recipe by accident. I always add two tablespoons or four, of psyllium husks to my smoothies. One morning, I had the idea of adding psyllium to my oatmeal-that was a mistake!!!! It turned my oatmeal into a gelatinous gooey, inedible mess.....but there was a property I could work with! It thickens! Faster than you can say "Ghiradelli Chocolate" I grabbed my almond milk.....the rest is history!

Allow one cup of almond milk per serving( I use the 30 calorie per cup variety).. Add one teaspoon of cocoa powder per cup and a dash of vanilla. Add two teaspoons of sweetener of your choice-and cane sugar is fine as long as you're tracking it. Heat over medium high heat and whisk until dissolved, but you don't want to boil it. Now as far as making a thick marvelous cup of hot chocolate, you have options. If you don't want fiber for whatever reason, add a heaping teaspoon of corn starch at the beginning-before heating, and stir, stir, stir. If you want fiber, add two tablespoons of psyllium husks.If you use psyllium, you are adding 35 calores and seven grams of fiber. Enjoy!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: Guilt-free hot chocolate: have a cup or two!

I enjoy my chocolate more when there is guilt involved.