Honored Contributor

Re: Garden Salad - what are your essential ingredients?

Of course I took a photo of it :-)

I used:

Romaine lettuce

Grape tomatoes

Yellow bell peppers

Red onions

Radishes

Mushrooms

Carrots

Pecans and Cashews

I used the dressing I posted above, just replacing the dijon mustard with a whole grain mustard.

Of course there was salad left over for dinner that night, and DH managed to pick out all the good stuff to eat only the lettuce and tomatoes... as expected.

salad.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

The mix can be anything but it has to have homemade dressing with:

olive oil

acid (sherry vinegar, champange vinegar, red vinegar, lemon juice and or a combination)

salt (need quite a big) and pepper

Garlic most often (either garlic powder in a "pinch" ) or crushed

them sometimes 

mustard (ususally a good french mustard--grainy is good!)

sometimes a pinch of sugar

honey

a teaspoon or two of mayo or buttermilk

herbs

hot sauce

whatever strikes your fancy!  

I like mine pretty tart so I use more vinegar and some do.

Ina Garten has some great dressing recipes

Honored Contributor

Remember the days when things made w/Jello were considered salads?

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

I like all simple foods.  Don't like to try new things.  Salad consists of lots of tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, some cucumbers (peeled) and sometimes a tiny, tiny bit of onions.  Dressing either any kind of Italian.

Respected Contributor

I use whatever is on hand. I love salad, but I don't make enough of them. I use a lettuce mix or Romaine, but not Iceberg (my tummy doesn't like it). I love artichoke hears, pickled beets, boiled eggs, grape/cherry tomatoes (or the mix of different colored tomatoes I got at Sam's), different peppers, cheeses, bacon/diced ham, etc....I am digging parmesan cheese with the Olive Garden dressing I can get at WalMart. YUM! I love taking pumpernickel bread, cubing it, tossing in oil and herbs, and toasting. I love them in salads and soups!
Esteemed Contributor

I agree that I usually enjoy salads made by someone else better than mine! But I think that a simple home made dressing (like poppy seed) can make all the difference rather than using bottled dressings (although that's what I use most often). One of my favorite simple salads for 2 to 4 people is Butternut lettuce or Romaine, sliced fresh strawberries (or drained mandarin oranges), a couple of sliced green onions, a small handful of slivered almonds, and home made poppy seed dressing (1/4 c veg. oil; 2 Tbsp sugar; 1/2 tsp salt; 2 Tbsp vinegar; 1/2 tsp poppy seeds).

Honored Contributor

What else would a salad be but a "garden". Thought about this and I am wrong. Could be potato or something else.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the back of my mind is a plan to hold a salad bar lunch for some of the nice ladies I've met in our new neighborhood.   It's the only way I know to attractively  and safely cater to all the individual allergies and gluten/lactose intolerances that seem to prevail these days--not to mention all the carb haters, sugar avoiders, yada yada.

Have done this before.  Used three kinds of lettuce---romaine, iceberg, red and/or green leaf lettuce and maybe a little spinach mixed in one big bowl.  (Maybe set spinach out by itself, as some folks don't like it.

Set out bowls or platters of  chopped or sliced ham, turkey,  cucumber, tomato, carrot, celery, onion, red/green/yellow peppers, hard-boiled egg,  peas, pickled beets,  green and/or yellow squash, and radish, plus two cheese types and croutons or other crispy topping.  The salad dressing aisle and produce department have many types  of crunchies available these days.

Make up a couple  of different dressings, and let people ladle out their choice.

I would also make deviled eggs (because I like them) and offer two different types of bread or rolls.

The spread can be very pretty and colorful and of course depends on finding the best available produce, which isn't always easy.

And in answer to the poster who asked why others' salads always taste better than hers.............it's because someone else did all the shopping,  slicing and chopping!!

Valued Contributor

I grew up loving salads that were made only with "greens".   When shopping, I choose whatever looks the best.  I like escarole, green lettuce, romaine and endive.   My secret to a good salad is preparing the lettuce at least a day in advance.  After gently washing my greens, I use colander to drain them until they are almost dry.  Then, I roll up the separated leaves in kitchen towels. (I buy inexpensive towels called "hucks" for this.)  I place the towel rolls in plastic bags, in the fridge.  

I think wet lettuce takes away from the freshness of a salad.  I want my lettuce to be dry so I can add a light touch of dressing.  (Usually made from chopped shallot, sherry vinegar and olive oil.)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela